Brighton (A) - Post Match Thread.

Oh, I totally agree mate. We've got whoppers in our support too. I'm thick-skinned enough to laugh it off but it was just a weird exchange as he seemed more arsed about blowing smoke up United's arse than Brighton's plus he got his facts wrong about City which needed pointing out lol. He certainly wasn't indicative of the Brighton fans in general that we came across.

Anyway, there was a point during that second half where despite our dominance in possession, etc, you had us wobbling a fair bit so I for one was relieved we came away with the 3 points. Good luck for the rest of the season and hopefully you'll stay up so I can make a proper weekend of it next time ;)
The Asian lad who was getting stick during the match, singing you fat bastard and get your tits out for the lads at him, came down to the concourse with the city fans for a pint, he was sound laughing and joking about it after the match

Last edited:
Putting this into some sort of context from a Brighton fan. After any game you will always get twattish comments from some (few) fans of the losing team, mainly just to wind up opposition supporters. Just take it with a pinch of salt. Overall, the majority of Brighton fans didn't expect to get anything out of this game so had it been 0-0 at full time it would have been celebrated like a victory. An additional view is that we probably won't meet such an accomplished, quality team again this season (how's that for respect eh!). Our first time in the top tier for 34 years, and it will take time to find our feet - hopefully soon, but thanks for setting the bench mark.
Spoke to quite a few of your fans waiting for the bus back to the racecourse and on the bus itself. Like us, your fans have stuck with you through the bad times and all the ones we spoke to were lovely and a great credit to you. Loved the setting of the stadium as well. There was a real buzz in the ground at the start of the game and why not? You deserve your moment in the sun and I was thrilled to be part of that moment.

Everyone we spoke to said the same as you, that they didn't expect to get anything from the game. In that case I'm surprised you didn't give it more of a go. You had that spell of a few minutes in the second half where you put us under pressure but most of the game you were sat far too deep to hurt us. We expect that from visitors to the Etihad but generally not from the home team.

Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season (without a decent, pacy striker you're going to need it) and we'll look forward to seeing you at ours in March. I should warn you though that the Bradford area of Manchester is a bit different to the South Downs.

We were predictable because we move the ball like sloths, run down blind alleys and refuse to take men on when in and around the box.
Have to agree. The movement of the ball was too slow, allowing them to regroup at will, and we continually moved the ball inside instead of doing those defence splitting combinations down the flanks or taking the defender on.

You'd be surprised. There's a few on here that would struggle with banging a couple of rocks together. Oh...hold on, you were trying to be funny. I get it now. As you were.
agree with that, not quite sure what I've done to you, we both know what you were suggesting but your way off the mark, let's leave this one alone and I hope you enjoy the season, I look forward to more appropriate city related conversations with you.

A satisfactory performance but more importantly, the three points and off toa winning start. They were hard to break down first half, we weren't moving the ball quickly enough and Hughton had them well organised, delighted to see Kun put one away though and we never looked like conceding after that.
Good to see Bernie get on for a run out and Danillo was decent first half. KDB and Walker stood out for me, I've really taken to the latter, a fine addition.

I was actually very satisfied with Saturday's result and performance. In my opinion 2 goals and a clean sheet away from home is always a good day's work. At kickoff the ground was rocking and the flags waving- an inspiration to any home team, but Hughton was, I think, determined to avoid a real pasting. The first 15 minutes convinced Brighton that the only way to do this was to keep a back 6 and 4 in front of them. This conditioned the game. Moving the ball forward quickly wasn't an option too often because they rarely ventured too far up field and we were often winning the ball back very high up the field but with a back 6 still in their own box! We were actually involved in a siege, and there was very rarely space for taking players on, beating them and scoring. But we did persevere and we did create chances. These resulted from patience in probing for space, pulling players out of position or simply applying so much pressure that Brighton made mistakes. We had 2 disallowed, one rightly, one wrongly but Brighton couldn't do anything to prevent either, Jesus should have scored with a header and Kun missed the simplest of chances. Last season this would have been followed by the complaint that we drew a game in which we had 78% of the possession, but on Saturday we were much more solid at the back (on the very rare occasions we needed to be), kept the pressure up relentlessly and it paid off when we capitalised on two Brighton errors.

It was the first game of the season, we weren't at our best and I agree that we came inside far too often, often ignoring Walker. The problem on the left was that Danilo has, it seems, no left foot! Mendy can stay wide, stretch even a back 6 more and put some real beauties into the box for players like Aguero and Jesus (among others) who can find space in a phone box. And, of course, our bench looks like it is full of game changers at long last.

We were dull and predictable just like we have been in 90% of the games over the last three years.

We need to come out all guns blazing from the off and try to blow the other team way.

Be more circumspect with the better teams.

Whatever you do mate your wasted I doff my cap

Have to agree. The movement of the ball was too slow, allowing them to regroup at will, and we continually moved the ball inside instead of doing those defence splitting combinations down the flanks or taking the defender on.

Think this was largely down to the 3-5-2. We lacked real pace. Sterling and sane much earlier would have made a difference.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.