Brittany Ferries

Used to use Brittany Fairies for the first 2/3 holidays in France, but since 1997 have travelled exclusively via the Tunnel. If you time it right, it's a lot cheaper than the ferry, which makes up for the additional mileage, and you can actually save time, even going via Coquelles. The distance the the ferry ports from round here is roughly the same.

It takes around 6 hours (unless you're on the superfast service) from Pompey - Caen, plus being there an hour beforehand. Then you've got to wait a while before you get off. On the Shuttle, you can be away 30 minutes after getting there (my best was 9 minutes!), it takes 35 minutes for the crossing, and you're on your way 5 minutes after the train stops.

Caen is 200 miles from the Shuttle, which is a very easy 4 hour drive, including a trip over the magnificent Pont de Normandie.

Shuttle any day for me.

I thought I'd save money last summer and go via the shuttle then drive to my gaff in Brittany.
The shuttle service was fantastic. We were out of school holiday season and we arrived early and got on straight away. The shuttle journey was fast.
However It was an experiment I won't be doing it again.
The drag of the subsequent drive to central Brittany and cost of fuel outweighed any few pence saved. I am going back to the Portsmouth - Saint Malo ferry trip I know and love.

I thought I'd save money last summer and go via the shuttle then drive to my gaff in Brittany.
The shuttle service was fantastic. We were out of school holiday season and we arrived early and got on straight away. The shuttle journey was fast.
However It was an experiment I won't be doing it again.
The drag of the subsequent drive to central Brittany and cost of fuel outweighed any few pence saved. I am going back to the Portsmouth - Saint Malo ferry trip I know and love.
The last time I drove to Brittany. to a gite just south of Guingamp, was a 480 mile slog from the Shuttle albeit on fast roads all the way. We did stay overnight at the Ibis next to the Cite de Europe before the journey, so wasn't completely knackered when I got there. However, if you've got kids with you, it's a bit of a 'mare keeping them entertained for that journey. There's only so many times you can play "spot the blue Citroen C5".

Chacun a son gout, as they say.

Got a trip booked very soon. One way 4 of us with an outside cabin. Bringing the minibus as well £430. Kids love the boat it's more fun than the airport and plane. Bars are good. Winner.

Nice medieval villages in Brittany, Normandy, Vendee anyone please?

Great way to do the long crossings to France with a good meal, drink and a kip. Tbh I tend to do the short shitty dover to Calais and do a b&b with a longer drive that end. Not as nice but much cheaper.

I saw Rick Stein on one of his shows recommending wholeheartedly - obviously a fan of the food he pointed out you got a decent red wine, proper frites and a chef who knew how to deliver a blue steak to your table - all at a reasonable price. Other carriers appeared to be more of prepared sandwiches and sausage roll canteen type of approaches.

Nice medieval villages in Brittany, Normandy, Vendee anyone please?

what alwasy gets me is that on the continent there are towns and villages that had the shite bombed out of them ( twice in some countries ) last century mostly all restored to their former glories. We have Coventry............ pre war medieval city turned into late 20th century hole

Try these in Brittany

http://jackandjilltravel.com/le-roadtrip-brittany-medieval-towns/

To which I would add St Goustin's tiny bay frontage restaurants for lunches.
I quite like Locronan in Brittany - a well preserved medieval town designed for tourists (but with modern prices!), and Domfront and Gorron in Normandy. Vendee is pretty bland unless you go inland. or try the island of Noirmoutier - there is a quaint butterfly farm worth visiting. If you're brave, try crossing to the island at low tide across the causeway.

Careful on that causeway the tide comes in fast
Theres always masses of French collecting ,what they call food, out of the mud
I got a "gaff" on the coast,but I always find Brittany ferries prices around 400 quid plus return ,that's extortionate and almost unavoidable anywhere on the western channel routes its the same
Would like to use them but its a cartel on those routes

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.