Buddhism

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Blue Smarties, 7 Dec 2010.

1. Blue Smarties

Blue Smarties

Now me being a soft arse, I normally get roped into buying rubbish from street sellers because they talk me into it and I feel sorry for them. A Buddhist group were on Market ST today and one caught me whilst walking past for a quick chat. He offered me a book about Buddhism for a read (VEDA, Secrets From The East) for free but I could donate £3 or £4 for the printing if I wanted as they don't sell the books because they're Buddhist's (he only mentioned this when I had it in hand!). So anyway, short story is I got roped into buying another thing from a street seller which I have a no use for.

Anyway, having checked it out I think I'll give it a read. It actually looks quite interesting. Now I'm not someone for religion at all so I'll just be reading it to check what they're all about etc.

Anyone a Buddhist or find that area interesting? Like I said, I'll give it a read... may aswell.

2. BWTAC

BWTAC

I got roped in a few years back, same scenario, they give you the book, then ask for a donation. Mine was a Hare Krishna, did read a bit of it and to be truthful there was some sense in there, but i think you could say that about all religious documents.

3. mammutly

mammutly

Buddhism is a journey you will never regret starting.

4. peoffrey

peoffrey

The book sellers are usually Hare Krishna which I believe is a higher form of Hinduism. They're often teeotal, vegan and have no desire for material items. It's not really a way to live in the modern world, IMHO.

I'm not so knowledgable about Buddhism but I don't think I could look at a disabled person and tell them they're paying for sins committed in a past life.

5. Balti

Balti

Buddhist barstards going round bombing people who dare to disagree with their religion ffs

6. JULES

JULES

retired
    bit like going to coms really

7. BlueSam

BlueSam

I keep toying with the idea of reading around Buddhism.

I am totally atheist but from what I have read about Buddhism is agree with a lot of the lessons it teaches etc, still doesn't make me believe in reincarnation but I do still want to read more.

8. johnny on the spot

johnny on the spot

Medicated for your safety.
    I attend meditation classes at our local Buddhist Centre once a week. While I'm not totally au fait with the theology, it's a practice that is provenly effective in the treatment of hypomania and anxiety and helps me a very great deal.

9. Kirkstall Blue

Kirkstall Blue

If I ever get the time it's something I wouldn't mind looking into, just so I'd know what it's all about and how it started.

10. johnny on the spot

johnny on the spot

Medicated for your safety.
    For those of you based in the Motherland, Manchester Buddhist Centre is very good indeed.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchesterbuddhistcentre.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchesterbuddhistcentre.org.uk/</a>