Buying a car - legal issue

If they signed a contract with no condition on HPI checking, they are contractually bound to go ahead at the agreed price. Enforcing that may not be easy, though, if you need the cash and don't have the will to see it through.

How much is the trade-in car worth with condition declared? If more than £500 you might walk away and take them to small claims tribunal if they don't return your deposit.

If £500 or less, you might be better swallowing your pride as you wouldn't technically be out of pocket.

They sound like cowboys so you should be wary of what you're buying off them. You've seen the HPI report on that one, I assume?

We've paid a £500 holding deposit. Walk away or pay up, we're £500 out of pocket.

You have a legal cooling off period mate, think its 14 days iirc so tell them they either honour the deal or you want your deposit back and you are going elsewhere.

If they signed a contract with no condition on HPI checking, they are contractually bound to go ahead at the agreed price. Enforcing that may not be easy, though, if you need the cash and don't have the will to see it through.

How much is the trade-in car worth with condition declared? If more than £500 you might walk away and take them to small claims tribunal if they don't return your deposit.

If £500 or less, you might be better swallowing your pride as you wouldn't technically be out of pocket.

They sound like cowboys so you should be wary of what you're buying off them. You've seen the HPI report on that one, I assume?

I'd take £500 for our trade-in as a Cat D. My question is simply whether they're obligated to the price they said they'd pay for it.

I don't think they're cowboys (very well reviewed on numerous platforms), I think they've just fucked up by not doing the HPI check before signing off on the deal and are trying to shift that onus onto us. We've seen the full service history of the car we're buying.

Tell them to fuck off and honour the deal or you will just walk and go elsewhere with your business.
.........and shit in the petrol tank before you leave the dealership,legally speaking you are well within your rights to do that.

They're throwing your car in an auction as soon as you drop it off anyway. It means nothing to them. Tell them you want the car you've shaken on but can't afford the extra £500 notes. You didn't know it was a cat d, that's not their fault, but, If it mentions nothing about this being an issue in the t&c's, I presume they've looked over the car before offering you a grand for it (if they didn't it's their look out) the deal should stand. They take it as seen. Stand your ground and see what happens

I'd take £500 for our trade-in as a Cat D. My question is simply whether they're obligated to the price they said they'd pay for it.

I don't think they're cowboys (very well reviewed on numerous platforms), I think they've just fucked up by not doing the HPI check before signing off on the deal and are trying to shift that onus onto us. We've seen the full service history of the car we're buying.

A couple of positives then. Maybe play hard-ball first, say you've taken legal advice and they are contractually obliged to honour the original deal. See their reaction. If they dig their heels in, say you want your deposit refunded and will walk unless they come up with something acceptable. That should signal you are willing to negotiate. If you get somewhere significantly north of £500, then you probably have a deal. If not, you'll have to decide whether to fold on their terms or demand your deposit back on threat of legal action.

Either way, and in accordance with Bluemoon standing instructions, return the following day in a stolen car, drive it through the showroom window, daub the walls in excrement, bum the salesman senseless, then torch the fcukin place.

They're throwing your car in an auction as soon as you drop it off anyway. It means nothing to them. Tell them you want the car you've shaken on but can't afford the extra £500 notes. You didn't know it was a cat d, that's not their fault, but, If it mentions nothing about this being an issue in the t&c's, I presume they've looked over the car before offering you a grand for it (if they didn't it's their look out) the deal should stand. They take it as seen. Stand your ground and see what happens

Yeah, they checked the car over.

A couple of positives then. Maybe play hard-ball first, say you've taken legal advice and they are contractually obliged to honour the original deal. See their reaction. If they dig their heels in, say you want your deposit refunded and will walk unless they come up with something acceptable. That should signal you are willing to negotiate. If you get somewhere significantly north of £500, then you probably have a deal. If not, you'll have to decide whether to fold on their terms or demand your deposit back on threat of legal action.

Either way, and in accordance with Bluemoon standing instructions, return the following day in a stolen car, drive it through the showroom window, daub the walls in excrement, bum the salesman senseless, then torch the fcukin place.

Cool. Someone on another forum recommended talking to Trading Standards so I'm going to do that tomorrow and mention it in passing to the dealership (who are unlikely to want a visit). Thanks for all the help, especially the smashing, shitting and torching advice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.