Canada travel tips

I was there a couple of years back and agree with what everyone else said. It's a fantastic country. I drove from Vancouver to Banff with one overnight stop on the way. Absolutely loved it. On the way back we drove from Banff to Calgary and took a flight over to Victoria on Vancouver Island. Stayed in Victoria which us a really chilled small city with good hotels, restaraunts and bars, then spent a week in Tofino. You didn't say what your interests are but if you like beach life and boats Tofino is great. If you fish then you will think you are in heaven. We liked Vancouver and the surrounding area. Lots to see and do but watch out for the Rag pub on the main tourist street. You really can't go wrong. Watch out for Grizzlies though and no I'm not joking!

I love the outdoors, mainly walks and stuff. I'm into my circuit training and running, as well as football but this trip obviously isn't for that ha.

I'm gonna look into the train routes posted and see if there's a coach too as may be cheaper.

How often are you likely to see grizzlies in the open over there? I've seen black bear in USA where I've got family, which was a bit surreal. I do like bears but from a distance haha, I reckon I'm gona carry some bear spray with me whilst over there, a bit over the top I know!

I love the outdoors, mainly walks and stuff. I'm into my circuit training and running, as well as football but this trip obviously isn't for that ha.

I'm gonna look into the train routes posted and see if there's a coach too as may be cheaper.

How often are you likely to see grizzlies in the open over there? I've seen black bear in USA where I've got family, which was a bit surreal. I do like bears but from a distance haha, I reckon I'm gona carry some bear spray with me whilst over there, a bit over the top I know!

Between Banff and Lake Louise sightings of Grizzly bears was pretty common. We stopped the car and watched one eating dandelions in a meadow for about 45 minutes and took some fantastic photos. There is advice at tourist offices what to carry when hiking. You will see both Grizzlies and Black Bear if you look for them. Tofino was particularly good for black bear and we were lucky enough to see Cubs with their mother and even a rare sighting of a wolf (it was a proper scrawny bugger).

I wouldn't bother about the bears, go in search of beaver, that's where the action is ;-)

I live in Calgary. Here goes.

Icefield parkway drive from Banff to jasper. Unbelievably beautiful drive.

Moraine lake near lake Louise is worth a trip

White water rafting on kicking horse river near Golden, BC.

Downhill/cross country mountain biking at one of the ski resorts. Panorama,BC would be my suggestion.

If you like golf, golf at Greywolf whilst you're at panorama.

I'll let you know as I think of more.

Don't under estimate the bear spray mate, it really works. I live just outside Yellowstone and there's so many of the fuckers they're about to be deregulated. I have cans in both trucks and always carry it with me hiking in the woods. They're just waking up right now so even cross country skiing requires it. Way better than a pistol, fact there's a saying around here that if you carry a pistol with you for bear protection you should filr the front site off so that when the bear takes it off you and shoves it up your ass it won't hurt as much

I lived in Calgary for a couple of years back in 2009, fantastic place. Try and do the drive from Banff to Jasper...amazing. If you want to see bears do the ski lift at lake louise, more or less guaranteed a bear sighting. Another place for bears and great scenery is highway 40 (highwood pass) which is the highest paved road in Canada, cycling up there one summer I spotted a grizzly down the embankment, scared the shit out of me! Cable car ride at Banff up to Sulphur Mountain is worth a visit too.

Rent a car and take a drive to Newfoundland, stopping at Toronto, Quebec city, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia on the way.
Or, go to Lake Louise and Tofino.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.