Canada travel tips

I live in Calgary. Here goes.

Icefield parkway drive from Banff to jasper. Unbelievably beautiful drive.

Moraine lake near lake Louise is worth a trip

White water rafting on kicking horse river near Golden, BC.

Downhill/cross country mountain biking at one of the ski resorts. Panorama,BC would be my suggestion.

If you like golf, golf at Greywolf whilst you're at panorama.

I'll let you know as I think of more.

Some others...

You have to have a steak. Alberta Beef is fantastic. Suggest you spend a night in Calgary and go to 'vintage chop house'.

Give 'prairie oysters' a miss.

If you're in Calgary on a work day go for lunch at 'local 522' on 5th avenue. Best looking servers I've ever seen.

Definitely carry bear spray. When you're on a hike and you see a fresh grizzly bear print in the mud, the smell of you shitting yourself might attract them.

If you're over 21 and have a licence, definitely rent a car; gas is pretty cheap now. It will give you more freedom than taking a bus. Also I reccomend going to Drumheller. It's completely different from the mountains but just as spectacular imo. If you get a chance go to a northern Alberta or Saskatchewan lake (diff atmosphere). I don't know what all you're interested in but if you like "american" type football you could go to a CFL game. Also watch out for Cougars (mountain lions) as well as bears.

Like a lot of people have mentioned go to Lake Louise, Ice Field Parkway, go whitewater rafting, there are a lot of trails you could go hiking on around Banff and through out the Parks. If you do decide to go canoeing probably better to go on a lake to start with. Go camping, have a fire (if there isn't a ban) maybe go fishing.

If you want to go from Banff/Calgary to Vancouver, I think it's only bus or car. The train goes through Jasper/Edmonton.

Being in Southern Alberta gives you the chance to see a lot of different Landscapes/ways of life so try to see as much as you can if you're thinking about the future and what you want in life.

Dunno but send me pics of milk in a bag, still fucking freaks me out that stuff :-)

I just can't get my head around it, it is milk...but in a bag...but it's milk, i just can't process this.

Have a lovely time mate, sorry no tips here beyond go try hire an authentic canoe (hand made by the craftsmen there) and go down a river.
Seen it on Ray Mears show once and looked like something that should be on my bucket list.

That's only in Eastern Canada. :) They have a special jug you can put them in. Also there are 3 bags that come in one big bag which = 4L.

these-pictures-are-meant-to-be-used-as-tiny-little-pix-next-to-points-in-sid.jpg

Give er.

Thanks for all of the informative responses lads, you've given me some real food for thought.

I do drive but haven't done so in nearly 4 years due to not needing a car, bit of a daunting thought renting one out there and getting used to the roads. I know it'd make the travelling side a hell of a lot easier though.

Sort of wish I was going with someone now, cos I know this trip really is going to be a life changing experience, that's before I even think about the work I'm doing with the kids.

Which do you guys reckon would be cheaper/more ideal to use as a 'base' for a week or 2 whilst travelling, Calgary or Banff, or any other options?

Thanks for all of the informative responses lads, you've given me some real food for thought.

I do drive but haven't done so in nearly 4 years due to not needing a car, bit of a daunting thought renting one out there and getting used to the roads. I know it'd make the travelling side a hell of a lot easier though.

Sort of wish I was going with someone now, cos I know this trip really is going to be a life changing experience, that's before I even think about the work I'm doing with the kids.

Which do you guys reckon would be cheaper/more ideal to use as a 'base' for a week or 2 whilst travelling, Calgary or Banff, or any other options?
Driving in Canada is easy. Don't sweat it.

As for a base, you might want to look at Canmore. It's very close to Banff (10 minute drive), but probably a bit cheaper and still lots going on there. Canmore is only 1hr from Calgary. Don't stay at lake Louise. Lovely spot, but not much going on there.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm going to be in the USA in May and considering a trip out to Niagara - I'm informed the Canadian side is the better of the two, which would mean I'd have to drive over the border from the USA to Canada - can anyone advise if there's any Canadian VISA/ESTA type requirement I'd need to meet being a UK national crossing from USA to Canada and back?

EDIT - answering my own question if anyone is interested
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp said:
British citizens
icon-check.gif
You need an eTA to visit or transit through Canada by air.

If you travel by land or sea, you do not need an eTA. However, you must always travel with acceptable travel documents and identification.

Last edited:
Driving in Canada is easy. Don't sweat it.

As for a base, you might want to look at Canmore. It's very close to Banff (10 minute drive), but probably a bit cheaper and still lots going on there. Canmore is only 1hr from Calgary. Don't stay at lake Louise. Lovely spot, but not much going on there.

Thanks a lot, I'm actually going to be working just up the road from Canmore so no harm in going and scouting the place out, I'll top up some hotel/hostel prices.

Thanks a lot, I'm actually going to be working just up the road from Canmore so no harm in going and scouting the place out, I'll top up some hotel/hostel prices.
If you're staying for a couple of months it might work out cheaper if you get a mid term townhouse/vacation property rental. Lots of job layoffs in Calgary, so a few people with vacation homes might be looking to get some revenue.

If you're staying for a couple of months it might work out cheaper if you get a mid term townhouse/vacation property rental. Lots of job layoffs in Calgary, so a few people with vacation homes might be looking to get some revenue.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it but whilst I'm working for 2 months I am already provided with the accommodation, it is a kids summer camp that I'll be working at.

I'm only really looking at a place to stay for a week or 2 beforehand, so I can travel round a bit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.