Canada travel tips

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm going to be in the USA in May and considering a trip out to Niagara - I'm informed the Canadian side is the better of the two, which would mean I'd have to drive over the border from the USA to Canada - can anyone advise if there's any Canadian VISA/ESTA type requirement I'd need to meet being a UK national crossing from USA to Canada and back?

EDIT - answering my own question if anyone is interested
Don't expect too much at Niagara. Surprisingly tacky place. Blackpool by the falls.

Too long since I was there to give any hotel tips but it's one gorgeous area you're visiting and I agree with idahoblues: you could happily spend all your time in and around Banff.
If you have the time though, Vancouver is well worth a visit and I very much enjoyed Vancouver Island too.

The Calgary Stampede is on in July (http://www.calgarystampede.com/stampede) which you will either want to visit or make sure you avoid! Hotels etc likely to be booked well in advance and more expensive than usual.

Had three days in Calgary for Stampede what a great time, met some great people, so many people in one place and no trouble. I was on a familey connected tour to see people but taking those 3 days out for Calgary was worth every penny.

Don't expect too much at Niagara. Surprisingly tacky place. Blackpool by the falls.
Agreed. What a shithole. Def not with a trip.

Was in Calgary for a week or two last year. Nothing specific id suggesdt to do in the city really. But went up to Banff, Canmore etc and the Rockies are spectacular. As per the calgary resident earlier in the thread - Lake Moraine was just beautiful.

Had an 8 week trip here due to my uncle being stationed over there at the Canadian base Suffield , a little place called Ralston not far from Medicine Hat that's not a bad little city.

Did the whole camping in the Rockies, Banff and Jasper was out of this world, and we ended up at Edmonton Mall now that's amazing if you get the chance, not sure if it's in the top 10 of biggest malls in the world.

Have a good trip........ room for one more?

Thought I'd resurrect this thread and say cheers to those who have offered advice so far. I have used a lot of it to plan my trip. I set off in just over a month.

I have booked to stay in downtown Calgary for a few nights before heading over to Banff for a few nights. From here I am going on a 4 day tour starting with Banff National Park, Lake Louise and Moraine Lake. Also driving up to Jasper and Athabasca Falls along the Icefields Parkway. I did want to get over to Vancouver and Whistler and spend some time over there, but felt it'd be rushed. For the money it'd cost it'd be better doing that on a trip of its own I reckon.

I am going to try check out some of the restaurants and bars people recommended around Calgary, and potentially have a round of golf on a scenic course in Banff. Buzzing for this trip now, thanks again for those who gave advice. Please feel free to offer any more recommendations.

pray that there are no wild fires where you're going. That's all the advice I have for now.

About 500 miles North of where I'm travelling. Really sad news, I hope they can manage to extinguish that asap, doesn't look good at all.

Go and don't come back Canada is stunning I've been to Banff, lake Louise and whistler I'd live there in a heartbeat
Couldn't agree more stunning place with great people.

Go up to the Yukon, Dawson city, across to Alaska all that part of the world utterly amazing and for a big city Vancouver is one of the best in the world. They know how to party in Calgary as well

The east coast is amazing too Nova Scotia , Quebec, Ontario , PEI all have amazing places to go.

Couldn't agree more stunning place with great people.

Go up to the Yukon, Dawson city, across to Alaska all that part of the world utterly amazing and for a big city Vancouver is one of the best in the world. They know how to party in Calgary as well

The east coast is amazing too Nova Scotia , Quebec, Ontario , PEI all have amazing places to go.

Thanks mate, got a feeling I will be going back there next year to another part of the country.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.