Card fraud

Blue Smarties

Be careful lads and lasses.

My girlfriend has had her account done over in the early hours of this morning. She's now going through the lengthy procedures of setting things straight with her bank.

I'm a bit annoyed that I've let it happen to her account, as I know a thing or two about online bank fraud.

It's only going to get easier for those who want to take your money.

My girlfriend has been done over by a simple phishing website sent to her via email. They've then got her details linked to her Apple account (it was an Apple phishing site), and have transferred out via the Revolut app.

Really simple to do, a high school kid could do it. We're not even talking about card cloning here (even that is a doddle, but your high school kid shouldn't have the tech involved).

If you get an email which involves you logging in somewhere, always check who sent the email, and always check the URL of the website. Even then, if something doesn't sit right, close the page and go back to it yourself (I.E-in this case, type in the official Apple web address as opposed to following the link in the email).

Better advice is NEVER respond to an email from any supposed financial institution.

And NEVER link a debit card to any online account. If you must link use a credit card only.

It's much easier to say you are not paying a bill than to try and get back money taken from a current account.

From what i have been told if your card is stolen and you cancel your card it takes 48 hours for the contactless part to cancel so keep a check on your bills, you never know you may be able to trace where they have been used and get cctv of the offenders.

From what i have been told if your card is stolen and you cancel your card it takes 48 hours for the contactless part to cancel so keep a check on your bills, you never know you may be able to trace where they have been used and get cctv of the offenders.

You've been misinformed.
People are finding debits going from their accounts 8 MONTHS after cancelling a card!

See here
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ning-cards-can-be-used-after-you-cancel-them/

And
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...actless-fraud-months-after-youve-cancelled-it

Mate, if I'm being honest. To take your details is easier now than before. Sad world we're win..

Be careful lads and lasses.

My girlfriend has had her account done over in the early hours of this morning. She's now going through the lengthy procedures of setting things straight with her bank.

I'm a bit annoyed that I've let it happen to her account, as I know a thing or two about online bank fraud.

It's only going to get easier for those who want to take your money.

My girlfriend has been done over by a simple phishing website sent to her via email. They've then got her details linked to her Apple account (it was an Apple phishing site), and have transferred out via the Revolut app.

Really simple to do, a high school kid could do it. We're not even talking about card cloning here (even that is a doddle, but your high school kid shouldn't have the tech involved).

If you get an email which involves you logging in somewhere, always check who sent the email, and always check the URL of the website. Even then, if something doesn't sit right, close the page and go back to it yourself (I.E-in this case, type in the official Apple web address as opposed to following the link in the email).
Apple's security is shite, don't go near them.

You've been misinformed.
People are finding debits going from their accounts 8 MONTHS after cancelling a card!

See here
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ning-cards-can-be-used-after-you-cancel-them/

And
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...actless-fraud-months-after-youve-cancelled-it
Couldn't give a fuck in that case, it's the bank that are taking the hit. Got a refund of 300 I spent by pin-less (contactless) transactions on my card this week after the bank failed to turn it off when I gave them written notice that they'd no authorisation for it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.