Carefull what you eat if visiting Bali

Animals treated like shit in SEA shocker.

I've never understood this. I used to live in Vietnam and eating dogs is legal there are farms exist, which AFAIK are pretty shitty, but not much worse than any other animal is treated. And yet despite this, you'd still have people going around on motorbikes stealing people's pets. And restaurants will just buy them no questions asked. It's because the law isn't harsh enough. It's basically treated like property theft, so seeing an unguarded dog is like seeing a stereo being left in the front garden. Worst you're going to get if you're caught by the police is a small fine. If you're caught by the locals on the other hand......let's just say there were several cases of dog thieves being beaten to death by angry mobs frustrated by the police's lack of action.

But I don't understand the economics of this story. Because they don't seem to have dog farms, which would be the obvious solution for an apparent appetite for dog meat, so instead they're seemingly hiring hunters to capture and kill strays, which seems like a particularly labour-intensive way of dealing with the whole thing, and one that obviously couldn't provide the volume of traditional farmed meats. And then they're tricking tourists by selling it as chicken, that famously abundant, easily farmed meat that comes with free eggs. I can't see how the former isn't a good deal more expensive than the latter and why therefore it would make sense to pass one off as the other. Now I think about it, it's probably a case that you can sell both at massively more than their usual price because tourists. But even so, chicken would still have a bigger markup.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.