Carragher & Neville Interview Premier League Referees

Graham Poll's book is a revealing read as he openly said he would apply totally different criteria to particular players and games. So if he was reffing a team that had a player regarded as being troublesome, he'd often card them at the first opportunity to try to keep them in check. When you think back to Balotelli, how often was he treated differently to other players because of his reputation? Sometimes he deserved it but often he'd get two yellows that other players simply wouldn't have got and that just adds to his reputation. Same with Aguero & Sterling getting booked for diving so frequently. They're now seen as "divers" by refs despite the fact they clearly aren't.

Yet some just cant see whats actually happening every single week?

Why not just have a 5th official who watches the game on a TV and can communicate with the ref via a headset?

That way is there is a huge decision to be made, the ref can ask for a second opinion.

Nine times out of ten this could be solved whilst players are complaining to the ref anyway.

Also, stop the clock when the ball is not in play and scrap added time. That will get rid of all the time wasting.

So just watched the programme what can you say ? Propoganda piece for the refs, it was lighter than nimble bread. ( one for the elders )two thing stood out for me the admission that refs are handpicked for games, and that refs do study teams to look at formations and set piece situations and players that may cause them problems. But then on match day they don't use that info and ref with an open mind eeerrr yea right !!!!

If anyone havn't seen it you can see it here.

Just watched it myself and thought it was pretty decent. Would be nice to see more of the referees than just in matches.

Thanks for the link Clercqs, i found that mildly enjoyable, didn't really expect them to go through any really important contentious decisions tbh, it seems it was done just to give a broad idea of the difficulties they face, but what I personally found interesting was the fact they made reference to the officials 'only being human' quite a few times and mistakes are going to happen, if that's the case, and I readily accept that, then shouldn't we also include that they must surely be open to bias decisions and suchlike, and a dislike/negative mindset in respect of certain players, clubs etc, whether consciously or subconsciously ? they can't pick or choose when they want to throw in the 'human element' part imo.

'They' - do they include the millions of old school die hard football fans ? My old man has been going West Ham since the 60's - he accepts goal line technology but says that should be the limit - do you see what the footballing governing bodies are up against. And that's before you factor in everybody will have a different opinion of how technology should be used and when. It's a absolute minefield that can not happen over night. I for one welcome the ref having sideline help from another official on a monitor through an earpiece. Mistakes will be made no matter what though.

My old man said follow the fan and don't dilly dally on the way

But they will only ask questions that their paymasters Sky have set for them ,it's not as if the Dolphin and Ratboy will be allowed to ask anything controversial of the refs, Sly are not gonna bite the hand that feeds them .

I want refs interrogating over two similar incidents with accompanying video footage and the question "Why this, but not this?" And follow up with questions about why Aguero and Sterling get booked for 'dives' when clearly they'd had the legs whipped from under them (seen from 75 yards as clear as day) and Rashford or Young are awarded a pen when the only thing tackling them is thin air! And for good measure I'd want Oliver to explain the two pens in the Dipper game at the Etihad this season - the one they were given and the one Sterling was denied.

As my ERO texted me the other day "At The Emirates, The Lane, The Swamp and The Bridge, they toss a coin for a pen and then give it to the home side"!

Let's be honest, most refs will have been interested in football as lads, and followed a "favourite" team. If I were to ref a City game or a Utd game, I would try to be impartial but could not help subconsciously being pro-City and anti-Utd, esp. in borderline decisions. I would see the teams through different viewpoints.
It follows logically, therefore, that PL refs, while (hopefully) trying to be honest, are bound to have some sort of bias. As most of them will have grown up under all the media love for Man Utd, many will have followed the Rags and probably supported them.
I respectfully submit that they have an underlying bias. God knows, I would if, as I say, I were reffing a City game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.