Cashless Payment "City Card"

Shaelumstash

I've just done the latest City Voice survey and one of the areas of discussion was a Cashless payment card they are calling "City Card".

It's similar to a Gift Card you get for xmas and then stick in the back of your wallet and never use.

Anyone who has been to the Allianz Arena will be familiar with this rip off. You basically have to load up a minimum amount on to the card, say £10.

You then have buy all your food and drink using this card. But they price the items in such a way that it's impossible to spend exactly £10.

You can either spend £9.50 and leave 50p credit on the card and essentially throw away 50p. Or you can go and add an extra £10 credit on to it to buy that 60p slice of cheese for your burger.

If you have a balance on your card, you can't reclaim it in cash. If you lose your card, you've lost your money, same as if it actually was cash.

But here's the really enticing feature, you can earn CITY POINTS on your card. Imagine, you can get ripped off for food and drink, ripped off for the way you pay for food and drink, but you can actually earn CITY POINTS!! We don't know how lucky we are!!

In a day and age where contactless payment on debit cards is becoming ubiquitous, I really can't see any possible benefit from this, other than the club ripping fans off as much as they can.

They could introduce this as early as next season.

It's yet another example of the executives at the club completely alienating themselves from the fans, rampant profiteering to squeeze every last penny out of us.

I genuinely think if Khaldoon knew the wedge these guys were driving between the club and the fans he would be horrified. For the sake of a few extra thousand pounds they will go to any length to screw the fans over.

I urge every match going fan to sign up to City Voice to let them know what you think of this idea.

There's an awful lot of presumption in that rant my friend.

Whilst I understand the point, there's nothing to suggest in that survey that it will be anything like the ballache scheme at the Allianz.

See what they come up with first, it could be nothing like your fears. It could be exactly like it too, but we don't know yet.

I actually like the theory of it, but think it's stupid having a separate card. It should be linked to seasoncard if they do go through with it.

I've just done the latest City Voice survey and one of the areas of discussion was a Cashless payment card they are calling "City Card".

It's similar to a Gift Card you get for xmas and then stick in the back of your wallet and never use.

Anyone who has been to the Allianz Arena will be familiar with this rip off. You basically have to load up a minimum amount on to the card, say £10.

You then have buy all your food and drink using this card. But they price the items in such a way that it's impossible to spend exactly £10.

You can either spend £9.50 and leave 50p credit on the card and essentially throw away 50p. Or you can go and add an extra £10 credit on to it to buy that 60p slice of cheese for your burger.

If you have a balance on your card, you can't reclaim it in cash. If you lose your card, you've lost your money, same as if it actually was cash.

But here's the really enticing feature, you can earn CITY POINTS on your card. Imagine, you can get ripped off for food and drink, ripped off for the way you pay for food and drink, but you can actually earn CITY POINTS!! We don't know how lucky we are!!

In a day and age where contactless payment on debit cards is becoming ubiquitous, I really can't see any possible benefit from this, other than the club ripping fans off as much as they can.

They could introduce this as early as next season.

It's yet another example of the executives at the club completely alienating themselves from the fans, rampant profiteering to squeeze every last penny out of us.

I genuinely think if Khaldoon knew the wedge these guys were driving between the club and the fans he would be horrified. For the sake of a few extra thousand pounds they will go to any length to screw the fans over.

I urge every match going fan to sign up to City Voice to let them know what you think of this idea.

Yet some people are still naive enough to expect our owners not to take a profit! And this isn't in any way a criticism of them doing that, they are the best owners in the world but we aren't their charity case!

I'm struggling to see where the rip off is to be honest. For a fan who attends all the home games surely they just top it up as the season progresses and sort it out the last home game.
Less cash to handle for the fan and the club, can only be a positive.

Given they've got bank details for the majority of season ticket holders (I'm assuming most pay by installments), they could allow us to pay by tapping season ticket and deducting money from our bank account. Quicker service at bars etc???

Given they've got bank details for the majority of season ticket holders (I'm assuming most pay by installments), they could allow us to pay by tapping season ticket and deducting money from our bank account. Quicker service at bars etc???

Or they could just allow us to use the contactless feature on our existing debit cards? Or (god forbid!) cash?

Don’t see the problem, not everyone has got a contactless card or even a decent bank account.

You can go to the match and don’t have to take your bank card or a pocket full of cash with you or you can get a card for your kids to use and just top it up when it gets low. Any thing that speeds up the queue’s at half time can only be good

But if you do that, then that facility is available to anyone you might lend your SC card to if you can't get to a game.

I did comment that I would only consider using such a card if:

*it made it quicker to pay for food and drink
*it was quick and easy to top up
*it was quick and easy to check your balance
*allowed you to top up "odd" amounts of cash (ie not restricted to £5 or £10)
*depending on how many points you might be able to get AND what the options were to use those points (not been convinced by what's been on offer to date)

Having seen similar schemes in operation (prepayment cards that can be topped up) and declined to use them because the topping-up process was a complete pain in the arse, I have my doubts about this one too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.