Cataloging a music collection

I have all my vinyl racked alphabetically, circa 800 albums, CDs likewise and ripped to HDD.

Why do I need a spreadsheet?

I have a Motown greatest hits vinyl record playing at the moment. Smooth...

When I started to buy vinyl again a couple of years ago I wrote them all down in a book which, like a sad fuckwit, I take to record fairs, shops etc etc so I don't buy duplicates.

I had quite a few of those Motown greatest volumes, also the chartbuster collections.

This is an old favourite of mine, great to hear Levi working the crowd, class act the Tops.

maxresdefault.jpg

I have all my vinyl racked alphabetically, circa 800 albums, CDs likewise and ripped to HDD.

Why do I need a spreadsheet?
How do you know what you have?

I have a similar amount in a similar storage area but started buying duplicates by mistake.

Two B-Movie Remembrance Day 12's bought within 2 months of each other meant the book goes everywhere.

Having moved I've now got all my CD's, LP's and even cassettes in one place and I want to catalogue them all to see what I've got duplicates of and just be able to see what I've got. Probably got 400 CD's and 200 LP's, about 70-80 albums on cassette and stuff I just have as MP3 on my computer/iPod.

I could just plough through and do it manually into a spreadsheet but that'll be a ballache. Does anyone know of/use software or services to make this easier or is it a pain however you do it?
Use iTunes to rip the 400 CDs to digital format and then you'll have a useful digital version of 60% of your collection that will be organized electronically by iTunes and easy to sync with the iPod. This will take several hours so do it while multitasking on something else.

Having moved I've now got all my CD's, LP's and even cassettes in one place and I want to catalogue them all to see what I've got duplicates of and just be able to see what I've got. Probably got 400 CD's and 200 LP's, about 70-80 albums on cassette and stuff I just have as MP3 on my computer/iPod.

I could just plough through and do it manually into a spreadsheet but that'll be a ballache. Does anyone know of/use software or services to make this easier or is it a pain however you do it?

Have you not converted the CD's to MP3's? I know you have 400 odd but 25 per sitting on a bored Sunday will see you clear it in months. Put one on, select to upload, make tea / browse Bluemoon and repeat.

Edit: Posted before I saw SkyBlueTX reply.

Funnily enough. Just did my own collection a couple of weeks ago. Used an app called CLZ Music and a really smart storage system I bought off Amazon. So all my CD's are now fitted into 3 neat storage boxes and the 300cd's all captured on my iPad with cover art, sleeve notes and everything else you could need. All the CD covers have hit the local recycling centre. Did the same with my blu ray and dvd collection but used a different app for that.

I organise my CD collection which has now reached around a thousand, based on genre and then alphabetically so the same artist has all their albums in one spot. I did my organising last year and realised I wasted money on several duplicates.

Part of my enjoyment in my cd collection is reading through the sleeves. As enjoyable as having shelves of books for me.

I've never thought of digitally organising them. I did try converting them to MP3s but around the 20 or so CDs I decided to buy a reliable portable CD player instead.

I have piles and piles of cd's just sitting in the spare room all for your pleasure - after my review - I'll put it in the laptop and transfer it in the music library on my phone app.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.