CD/DVD Drive turned up it's toes

jimharri

Anyone out there want to help out a tech luddite? I have a HP Pavillion slimline desktop running Vista home premium and the disc drive has packed it in. When I go to "computer" and right click on the disc drive and go to properties, the hardware tab states that this device is working properly. Yet whatever disc is installed (audio CD, game disc, DVD movie etc) it isn't recognised as being there by the system. For instance, if you put in an audio CD, then open media player to rip the tracks onto the hard disc (disk?), Media player states to insert an audio CD into the drive. And if you double click on the drive in "computer" to open it, all that happens is that the disc drawer opens and you get a message to insert a disc into drive E. I've tried the troubleshooting section, which suggested uninstalling , then re-installing the disc drive. Didn't work. Also tried updating the drivers, but the ones installed are the most up to date drivers available. Is it terminal for the drive, or can it be repaired? Sorry if the answer is blatantly obvious to you; it ain't to me!!

Have you tried a lens cleaner ?

If you have the PC in a dusty environment the lens could be dirty.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.