Centre back options

I'm not sure I agree with that. We were after Mangala for ages, and John Stones was also a very considered buy. Otamendi was a bit more spur of the moment (relatively) I think, but I don't think we've been panic-buying defenders, we just haven't been great at identifying great ones.

But yeah, I agree. We'd have to pay at least £30m to get someone as good as Mangala in this market and we'd probably get less than £20m back for him, so it makes no sense to bring another player in as cover, unless that player is far more suited to our system, or more versatile.
You might get an end of career one on the cheap like we did with Demichelis who was really pretty good for two seasons before his last one. Not sure who that would be though.

Like many have said no point in buying a 30-40m CB that will probably be 3rd or 4th choice. I don't see the issue with keeping Mangala and rotating him in for cup games and relegation level teams for example. Surely he can play a role. If Mangala can play well against teams like Real, he can do it against Stoke as well. Would be perfect to deal with bigger forwards like Lukaku. Plus we have the added bonus of him possibily improving under Pep, he works hard and has something to prove.

I would keep him as 4th choice. If he doesn't cut it we can sell him next summer and go big on CB and DM.

Struggling to see how bringing in a small ball playing LCB will improve us, especially for 30m.

I think a cheaper, older CB would be the preferred option. Another leader on the pitch in Kompanys absence and could help along the development of Stone and Tosin. The problem is finding one, and in our system I think they'd have to be fairly fast too but I wonder if thats mitigated somewhat by having much more athletic fullbacks.

What about Heintz from Kologne? Probably cheap, for rotation, with the same role has Kolarov. Played 3 at back all season, played some games at left back too. Kempf would be an option too. Cheap guys with some potential. Even if it doesn´t work we can sell them in future. It looks like a Watford´s sign, but he´s going to be on rotation. Not sure if they accept it, but it could be interesting and cheap. Sampdoria have a good center back too.

Last edited:
Like many have said no point in buying a 30-40m CB that will probably be 3rd or 4th choice. I don't see the issue with keeping Mangala and rotating him in for cup games and relegation level teams for example. Surely he can play a role. If Mangala can play well against teams like Real, he can do it against Stoke as well. Would be perfect to deal with bigger forwards like Lukaku. Plus we have the added bonus of him possibily improving under Pep, he works hard and has something to prove.

I would keep him as 4th choice. If he doesn't cut it we can sell him next summer and go big on CB and DM.

Struggling to see how bringing in a small ball playing LCB will improve us, especially for 30m.
Ball-playing is the key word. A player that cannot participate in the buildup can't offer anything to a Pep team, it applies to keepers and defenders as well. CBs function as deep-lying playmakers in his teams, Mangala would be a disaster in that role.

Badstuber free, experienced, pep rates him and can play CB, lb and dm. One player can cover all the area that we are short, knows peps systems and is on a free, leaving us 150 odd million for the mbappe deal.

Badstuber free, experienced, pep rates him and can play CB, lb and dm. One player can cover all the area that we are short, knows peps systems and is on a free, leaving us 150 odd million for the mbappe deal.

Just had the same conversation with a mate ... Good short term cover.

Ball-playing is the key word. A player that cannot participate in the buildup can't offer anything to a Pep team, it applies to keepers and defenders as well. CBs function as deep-lying playmakers in his teams, Mangala would be a disaster in that role.

Again, he will be 4th choice. All he has to do is pass it to the Stones/Kompany, Mendy, Ederson or Yaya. He can play a role in our squad. A physical presence is a must, he will be a perfect fit for specific matches. Has pace to prevent counter attacks and has the physical presence to deal with big body strikers. His pros outweigh his cons IMO especially as we don't have the budget now to spend big on someone like Van Dijk.

Again, he will be 4th choice. All he has to do is pass it to the Stones/Kompany, Mendy, Ederson or Yaya. He can play a role in our squad. A physical presence is a must, he will be a perfect fit for specific matches. Has pace to prevent counter attacks and has the physical presence to deal with big body strikers.
There's no such position on the pitch as '4-th choice' CB. If he plays, he plays. He would be an obvious and easy target for opposition managers while planning their tactical approach. Puyol was often targeted by Mou in clasicos as everyone new that he's the worst passer in that Barca. And Puyol is like Maradona compared to Mangala.

His pros outweigh his cons IMO especially as we don't have the budget now to spend big on someone like Van Dijk.
That would be true if we didn't play possession game with high def line. Good ball-playing means more than ability to tackle and chase counters within this system. Therefore Pep considering Badstuber's and I.Martinez's candidatures is understandable - the solution could be temporary and fairly cheap, but the player has to have a partucular skillset.

Not that I'm happy with buying I.Martinez instead of, say, Laporte who ticks all boxes. But Mangala is a worse solution.

He's a crock, was released from Bayern for a reason.
Here's his gametime in official games and friendlies from last 3 seasons (and Kompany's mins for comparison)
14/15 - 1089 (Kompany-3191)
15/16 - 694 (Kompany-2037)
16/17 - 1358 (Kompany-1305)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.