Centre back options

Discussion in 'Transfer forum' started by Tugay One Cup, 18 Nov 2016.

1. CityFan94

CityFan94

The talk in the media is that Pep was happy with the options of Kompany, Stones and Otamendi in the summer, playing Kolarov there was never the plan.

Obviously Kompany has barely played, so I think either Fonte or Badstuber will come in as a short term to accompany Stones and Otamendi.

2. Neville Kneville

Neville Kneville

Had Kompany been fit I think the whole defence, in a 3 or a 4, would have looked very different.

3. CityFan94

CityFan94

We are a completely different team when Kompany is fit and playing.

You look at the best centre backs in the league, Alderweireld, Koscielny, Van Dijk, and Kompany is on a totally different level.

4. Dax777

Dax777

3 years ago, maybe. These days we are simply the same team with a higher probability of using one of our subs early. :(

5. Plain Speaking

Plain Speaking

According to Skybet. Crystal Palace are the favourites at 2/1, to sign Fonte. Rags are almost 3/1. Liverpool are 14/1. We are 25/1.
    Fat Sam likes to do a bit of "tapping up"

6. BlueDeadHead

BlueDeadHead

That wouldn't be FIT AND PLAYING now would it.

7. Dax777

Dax777

It would. Even when fit we are not particularly different. He isn't often, but when fit he is a shell of the WC defender he once was.

8. Martin Demichelis was released by Espanyol today. Just saying :-)

9. BlueisCity

BlueisCity

What are the chances that we don't do any business in this window? Its clear what the squad needs and another setback to Kompany + an injury to one of the fullbacks could completely derail the season.

10. Trautmann's Chiropractor

Trautmann's Chiropractor

No idea. As it stands it looks like we'll be sticking with our guns and hoping Kompany doesn't have any more injuries after Badstuber joined Shalke. I assume we'll be looking for someone else in that department if Vinnie has another setback before the end of the month though. The link to N'Zonzi has went cold, he's possibly signing a new contract at Sevilla. There was slight talk this morning about us signing Krychowiak from PSG, personally I don't see it though. There's been no concrete links to a full back despite Pep saying he may add one this window. But he said after the West Ham game that him and Txiki would be looking at any targets in the week or so they had between then and the match at Goodison, so we may see us linked to some players over the next few days.