Chance / Goal Involvement

Shaelumstash

I saw an article online today about a new stat that had been introduced about "Chance involvement". So not necessarily a player directly creating a chance, but a player being involved somewhere in the move which led to a chance being created.

I think David Silva was top, DeBruyne was second and possibly Aguero third, in the whole PL.

Then there was another stat about "goal involvement" so again, not necessarily the player getting the goal or the assist, but involved somewhere in the move that led to a goal being scored. I think Aguero was top of this, DeBruyne 2nd and Silva in the top 5 too.

They came up with a word for this "involvement" aspect, but I can't remember what it was. But the article was making out, this could be a new key stat for footballers, in the same way that the "assist" became more prevelant in the early 2000s.

Has anyone got a link to the article, or seen it? I can't find it anywhere online, and yes I have tried Google ;-)

Honestly, have no idea why would anyone who watches football use such 'stats', but here it is. Personally, find it useless, just like 'pass completion rate' etc. Basically these numbers tell us that City's play is based on possession, we're passing the ball better and more that anyone in the league, and 2 main passers are City's 8s. Revelation, isn't it?
https://www.premierleague.com/news/489392

ha look at the "Most involvement in sequences ending in a goal" at the bottom, City players in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 9th and 10th :)

I've always maintained that although Silva gets a lot of assists he mainly plays the pass before the assist. This is why I imagine he is top.

My old flat mate never used to rate Silva (which I found ridiculous) until I told him to look out for his through balls to create the assist. Since then his view has completely changed.

I've always maintained that although Silva gets a lot of assists he mainly plays the pass before the assist. This is why I imagine he is top.

My old flat mate never used to rate Silva (which I found ridiculous) until I told him to look out for his through balls to create the assist. Since then his view has completely changed.
Yes. In ice hockey you can have two assists per goal. If that were the case in football Silva would be very close to number 1.

Stats are for fans that don't understand football and need numbers to tell them how good we are.

Better inform the club that they're wasting money by paying a team of analysts to compile and analyse statistics from our games.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.