Change to the Diamond Formation

I don't think he'll go 3 at the back as much now, although like others have said I'm sure he'll use when he thinks it's appropriate. I just think saying we'll win the league if he plays a diamond is over simplifying things and a huge assumption based on one performance.
Two games. We played the diamond in the second half against Burnley as well but with only Aguero up top.

Diamonds usually work well for a few games, before opponents make plans to counteract it. I dont think we will play it week in week out.

We should use every formation including 3 at the back & learn to become a better, more adaptable, team than our rivals.

If that means we slip up sometimes & some players have to be replaced in the summer, to make it happen, so be it.

Too much is made of formations with Pep's team imo. A back 3 morphs into a 4, two upfront becomes zero upfront, or five upfront.

He's different & better.

I would actually like to see if we can still attack, in front of a more solid midfield, as one of the options. Just to have it there for some of the tougher games.

I think Sane could play the pushed forward right fullback. Clichy defends well and call fill in for KDB when he gallops forward so not that bad on the left.

Sane is a left footed player so using him as a right FB does not strike me a good idea: it is rather different to playing as an inverted winger. The situation with Clichy being right footed but playing left FB is also different because, IIRC, started playing on the left as a kid and his left foot.

Sane is a left footed player so using him as a right FB does not strike me a good idea: it is rather different to playing as an inverted winger. The situation with Clichy being right footed but playing left FB is also different because, IIRC, started playing on the left as a kid and his left foot.
Yeah it's not a great idea, played right back as a left footer myself a few times and it's very hard to stop someone standing you up and breaking past to the byline as your balance is off, plus when you're clearing the ball you're naturally doing it into the centre of the pitch instead of a safe zone.

The diamond formation is just another string to our bow.

We can play 4-3-3, 4-3-3 with inverted wingers, 4-3-3 with narrow fullbacks, 4-2-3-1, 3-6-1 and now a 4-4-2 diamond.

The one single most important thing which I think has clicked into place this last couple of days is the absolute necessity of players to play for the team, to sometimes sacrifice themselves to help the team. We've seen it with Aguero, fighting like a dog against Burnley out of possession and again against WBA, when he was so selfless in his movement trying to create space for others. Likewise De Bruyne, there's no way he would have wanted to play so deep last season, however he did the job for the team. Yaya as well has buckled down, apologised and is currently playing for the team, not as an individual which is great to see.

Those players who sacrifice themselves for the good of the team will also benefit when others do the same for them, it's a team and these days a squad game. We still have a lot to learn and personnel changes to be made but I think the mentality has hit a few of the players in this last few games, the referees may just have brought us that unity to fight together again.

Toure was the outstanding player on the field, as he was also against Burnley.

Him dropping between the centre backs and being able to turn and trust his technique provides a two-fold dilemma for most opponents.

Up until now, teams have stopped pressing high because they knows that's what we want them to do, and they are comfortable placing the onus back on the poor distribution of our full backs or Kolarov.

If you choose to stand off Yaya, he simply can move into the space and kill you higher up the pitch due to his incredible passing ability.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

De Bruyne looks unfit and has been poor for weeks and I think that miss against Chelsea is still haunting him.

West Ham were shit, we love any opponent that allows the freedom of the pitch.

I had no idea we were playing in a diamond until Stones mentioned it post-game! I guess that puts me on par with the BBC pundits, however...

I had no idea we were playing in a diamond until Stones mentioned it post-game! I guess that puts me on par with the BBC pundits, however...
Some days are diamonds some days are stones
Sometimes the hard times won't leave me alone...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.