Changing my Number FFS!

Not a day goes by where I don't get a call from some twat from Hereford/Shrewsbury/Bolton/Sheffield/Wing-Wong village that tell me that PPI laws have changed.. you can do it again.. goverment put aside x amount... you had a crash.. who was injured (dick 'ed here reversed into a neighbours car 3 years ago!) mither mither mither !!

Now i've got them ringing me up about doing a fucking will !!
A will !!
"have you got kids, you're a home owner" etc making me feel a right ****. They must know something I don't.

I've been as polite as humanly possible even to Mr Ping Pong telling me the laptops got a bastard virus. I've ignored them, blocked them, saved them as "Don't answer" and naively asked them to remove my number from their system. Even thought of blocking every number and wondering if there was an exceptions rule I could create - but why should I?!

FFS >:(
We bought a BT smart phone about 18 months ago - they are about £40 per pop if I remember. They block everything that isn't on your contact list and by block I mean the system asks an unidentified caller to go through a simple IVR response which takes out power dialler calls which represents 99% of nuisance calls. We went from 4 or 5 nuisance calls a day to nil. Best purchase I ever made. Highly recommended.

Google 'Telephone Preference Service', it's free. I've not had cold calls for well over 5 years. There is a Mail Preference Service as well to get rid of junk mail. Job done.
Don't agree TPS is widely ignored by many. We were on TPS and still had many nuisance calls. A smart phone fixed all that. Best purchase I ever made.

We bought a BT smart phone about 18 months ago - they are about £40 per pop if I remember. They block everything that isn't on your contact list and by block I mean the system asks an unidentified caller to go through a simple IVR response which takes out power dialler calls which represents 99% of nuisance calls. We went from 4 or 5 nuisance calls a day to nil. Best purchase I ever made. Highly recommended.
But if I wanted to I could still pull your number from a list, go through the IVR response system and try to sell you unwanted products and services multiple times a day?

But if I wanted to I could still pull your number from a list, go through the IVR response system and try to sell you unwanted products and services multiple times a day?
Yes thats true but all call centres are automated with power diallers that are computer controlled. You will notice that if you answer a nuisance call, there is a pause when you lift the handset as the power dialler connects you to the next available agent. A smart phone stops that happening.

Yes thats true but all call centres are automated with power diallers that are computer controlled. You will notice that if you answer a nuisance call, there is a pause when you lift the handset as the power dialler connects you to the next available agent. A smart phone stops that happening.
Yes but if I'm personally happy to go through the IVR it's not going to stop me is it?

Yes but if I'm personally happy to go through the IVR it's not going to stop me is it?
You seem to think these call centres have a human dialling a number. They don't, its a computer that only passes the call to a human agent when they have a live connection on the other end. The smart phone ensures that these type of calls are not connected. Honestly mate, we have gone from 4 to 5 calls nuisance calls per day to nil. We have had this system running for 2 years and its been brilliant.

You seem to think these call centres have a human dialling a number. They don't, its a computer that only passes the call to a human agent when they have a live connection on the other end. The smart phone ensures that these type of calls are not connected. Honestly mate, we have gone from 4 to 5 calls nuisance calls per day to nil. We have had this system running for 2 years and its been brilliant.
Not always it probably depends on the size of the operation, I did a stint in a call centre for a few weeks and they gave us lists that they bought and split between us to work through and you'd just copy and paste into a dialer. I think there must be lots of people selling lists that are years old because every single list would have loads of people saying they were on the TPS, sometimes said person was deceased etc. If you tell them you are on the TPS and you demand they take your number off their "database"(they might not have one and just add it to a list of numbers not to call in future, there will still be someone selling old lists about to other companies though) then they will do it to cover their backs.

Still these smart phones seem a good idea, it will cut them down drastically I'd imagine, until they find a way around it.

Last edited:
I'm not on about the call centres though...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.