Chanting , in the olden days

You are my city my only city,we'll drink a drink a drink to Colin the king oh Asa Hartford Asa Hartford nah nah nah nah nah nah if you all going to !!!!! Clap your hands we'll see you all outside we'll see you all outside Helen ring you bell. eye brings back good memories

Think it started after this, before then maybe a City or England chant, rattles were the go, 1st one I remember was Sha la la la Summerbee, all started coming from hits on the charts after 66

I remember watching an old match on TV might have been 66 World Cup final and hearing the crowd singing
Ooohhh my what a referee
What a referee
What a referee

That ones changed a bit :)

Also my old fella still sings
You'll not see nothing like the mighty Wyn

Found the 69 cup final in full while browsing around on Kodi the other day.

Watched the whole game and very little chanting or singing could be heard. Sporadic chants of City, City and Manchester. Although you can hear 'And now you're going to believe us, we're going to win the cup' at the end.

One thing that did impress me, and something I didn't appreciate at the time, was how the Mercer/Allison team pressed the opposition from the front.

Great stuff to watch, and to see the King who was everywhere that day.

Found the 69 cup final in full while browsing around on Kodi the other day.

Watched the whole game and very little chanting or singing could be heard. Sporadic chants of City, City and Manchester. Although you can hear 'And now you're going to believe us, we're going to win the cup' at the end.

One thing that did impress me, and something I didn't appreciate at the time, was how the Mercer/Allison team pressed the opposition from the front.

Great stuff to watch, and to see the King who was everywhere that day.

That's the way I remember it stood to the right of the tunnel , remember she's a lassie from Lancashire in the community singing and abide with me

I can remember the 1950s and I can assure you that there was no organised chanting then. There were roars and individual shouts (some of them offensive) from individuals, but no collective songs.

The first one I ever heard at Maine Rd (and I go back a long way) was directed at United's Alex Dawson in the early 60s. To the tune of "Camptown Races", by Stephen Foster, it was "Who's that bugger with the big black arse? Dawson, Dawson - Who's that bugger with the big black arse? Dawson is his name." Just about then the pop scene really began to take off and there were endless adaptations of hit songs.

That dreadful Kop "anthem" has a lot to answer for, as it was highlighted by the media and others followed suit. But before that, no, not a lot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.