Chelsea 2017/2018

Struck me last week, when watching them lose at Barcelona, that they had absolutely no English players in their starting line up. Think it was the same against Leicester as well, until Cahill came off the bench. Always used to associate them with having an English spine.

Struck me last week, when watching them lose at Barcelona, that they had absolutely no English players in their starting line up. Think it was the same against Leicester as well, until Cahill came off the bench. Always used to associate them with having an English spine.
Don't be silly, it's City that have all the foreign players, the media said so.

Sums up that despite people trying to lump City and Chelsea together in the "buy loads of youth players, never buy them and just splurge money without developing anyone" bracket, that we've put Foden, Diaz, Nmecha in the squad this season, and we went out early and bought the best English players available (Stones, Walker, Sterling) whilst they've now got an English quota to fill and bought Barkley, Drinkwater et al. whilst their talented youngsters (Abraham, Loftus-Cheek) can't get a look in.

I guess it's the difference between a sensible and well-managed transfer policy, and Chelsea.

Sums up that despite people trying to lump City and Chelsea together in the "buy loads of youth players, never buy them and just splurge money without developing anyone" bracket, that we've put Foden, Diaz, Nmecha in the squad this season, and we went out early and bought the best English players available (Stones, Walker, Sterling) whilst they've now got an English quota to fill and bought Barkley, Drinkwater et al. whilst their talented youngsters (Abraham, Loftus-Cheek) can't get a look in.

I guess it's the difference between a sensible and well-managed transfer policy, and Chelsea.

Good points. I suppose the fact that they seem to have a revolving managerial seat does not help matters, which in turn might mean the departure and arrival of more foreign players this summer.

To be fair, there was a time when we splurged on English players. We had a team with Lampard, Ash and Joe Cole plus Terry, of course. With lesser success, Bridge and your very own SWP. The price for English players has gone through the roof now and the overall quality of them has dramatically decreased. Chelsea can no longer go out and buy good, talented English player without it costing an arm and a leg. Even if the club wanted to, the quality available is generally pretty poor. We did try very, very hard for John Stones the year before City signed him.

To be fair, there was a time when we splurged on English players. We had a team with Lampard, Ash and Joe Cole plus Terry, of course. With lesser success, Bridge and your very own SWP. The price for English players has gone through the roof now and the overall quality of them has dramatically decreased. Chelsea can no longer go out and buy good, talented English player without it costing an arm and a leg. Even if the club wanted to, the quality available is generally pretty poor. We did try very, very hard for John Stones the year before City signed him.

neither can City, but we've grown our revenues, spent less money sacking managers and implemented a consistent transfer policy, which is something you've always struggled to do (although you've bought a lot of good players). The quality is poor yet you went out and bought Barkley and Drinkwater, instead of promoting the likes of Loftus-Cheek and saving yourself the money to say outbid us on Stones and buy real top quality foreign players.

neither can City, but we've grown our revenues, spent less money sacking managers and implemented a consistent transfer policy, which is something you've always struggled to do (although you've bought a lot of good players). The quality is poor yet you went out and bought Barkley and Drinkwater, instead of promoting the likes of Loftus-Cheek and saving yourself the money to say outbid us on Stones and buy real top quality foreign players.

It's not a case of not having the money. In the specific case of Stones, we had a free run at him the summer before you signed him. he handed in a transfer request specifically stating he wanted to move to Chelsea, who placed 4 different bids from 20m to 41m, eventually ending the interest when the price started to far outweigh what he was worth. City paid 50m and that's fair enough, but I was ok with Chelsea walking away at 40m.

I'm not trying to blindly defend my club. I have had long rants about the state of my club, the decision making from the board down to the coach. I have ranted specifically about the purchases of Drinkwater and Bakayoko when we already had Matic and Loftus-Cheek, signing Zappacosta when we already had Sterling.

The business side of the club is great. We've grown our revenues too. It's not a case of not having the money, it's more of a case of gross misuse of funds. City have meticulously organised the club from top down, with everyone seemingly on the same page, while we're still messing about with non-football people at board level who all think and do different things, at odds with the coach, nothing seems to be in sync at any level going right the club.

. The price for English players has gone through the roof now and the overall quality of them has dramatically decreased.

I'd actually suggest standards of English players are on the rise now - the performance of the youth teams suggests as much. True about prices though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.