Chelsea 2017/2018

They've dropped points in really bad games already this year.

Their 'weak' start last year really wasn't as bad as people suggest. They won 3, failed to win in 3, and then went on a massively long winning streak. Their 'weak' start was exaggerated by how strong our start was.

Plus the 3 games they dropped points in were in a draw away at Swansea, a home loss to Liverpool and an away loss to Arsenal. Not really the absolute worst points to drop.

But this year they've lost away to the team with the weakest start in Europe, at home to Burnley, and they drew at home to Arsenal. You can argue that the loss to us was offset by the win against Tottenham. They might need to go on another winning streak again to challenge but with the CL to worry about you do just feel that such a run of form is beyond them.

If Conte sticks around after this season then I think he'll be able to stabilize things so that they can manage the extra games but right now I'd put them behind both Tottenham and United in terms of who's a likely threat this season.

We won't be anywhere near the title this season. As long as the likes of Cahill, Willian etc are part of the starting team, we won't stand a chance. Conte needs to get over his loyalty to the team that won him the title and move on from them. We have two players better than Cahill sitting on the bench most weeks. Musonda and Pedro can be much better and effective than Willian. Fabregas can't play in a midfield two. Those 3 players are a huge problem imo.

Conte himself needs to generate new ideas. Watching you guys at the moment, we seem to be light years behind you. I'm just going to sit back now and enjoy watching City, whilst hoping we manage a top 4 place. Enjoy your team. You are frighteningly good.

Yet another poor performance. Totally abject. How Roma allowed us to score 3 goals with that performance is a mystery. At this rate, I'd put Watford as the favourites in the next game. We been unbelievably bad since we beat Atl Madrid.

Yet another poor performance. Totally abject. How Roma allowed us to score 3 goals with that performance is a mystery. At this rate, I'd put Watford as the favourites in the next game. We been unbelievably bad since we beat Atl Madrid.

Appreciate your kind words about City in the post above this one.

But given the downturn in performances have come from the City game onwards do you think that game might have inflicted some sort of psychological damage ? Are the team lacking belief having been completely outplayed by a domestic rival ?

This City team are without doubt extraordinary and I can imagine that being on the end of some of our play is thoroughly demoralising especially for teams/players who up to that point believe they are our equals and rivals.

Madrid's result yesterday against carrierbag, who had a man sent off on 75mins, was poor. I don't think they were the force they were a few years back.

Can't help but get the feeling that something is wrong at Chelsea, it's one of those feelings you get about teams, a lot like Mourinho's final seasons at clubs or Mancini's here. Seems like it happens to Chelsea a lot, I guess precedent has told a lot of the players that if they win a title they can just have a year off, get a new manager and start trying again. Dunno, just seems to look that way, for a long time Chelsea players seem to know that if they don't want the manager around they can get away with not really trying

It hasn't been a great period but it's only been 3 games. Two of which were up against very good sides. Not to say Chelsea shouldn't have done better, but it's not that bad.

Remember after they lost to Burnley it was Mourinho's last year all over. Then they beat Tottenham and put some good form together, especially through Morata and things started to look better, peaking with an excellent 2-1 away win at Atletico Madrid. And now things are going wrong again.

I think the very plain and simple truth is that they've had a pretty weak transfer window. They bought well, but they've done close to nothing in terms of adding depth given that almost all their signings were replacements/upgrades on departing players. Remember all of last season how thin their squad was, and how we all said they'd struggle once they were playing 2 games a week in the CL? Well that's exactly what's happened.

Compare them to the other three sides who might have a chance at doing well this year. United and Tottenham have very deep squads which will help them over the coming months. Our squad isn't quite as deep but we make up for it by having our backup options all being absolutely first-rate.

Chelsea's depth is closer to that of Arsenal's or dare I say Liverpool's. A couple really useful players that can easily go into the first team but after that a lot of deadwood that you wouldn't want to rely on over a long period.

If there's a problem at Chelsea, it's definitely not a new one. But I rate Conte highly and as I've said previously if he somehow sticks around until next year I expect them to bounce back big time.

Conte complaining of Chelsea's playing schedule.
I didn't hear him complain last year. Oh yeah welcome to the real world.

Interesting game today for them and probably a must win one, only problem is Watford have only player poorly once, think some team in sky blue snuck a win at Vicorage Rd.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.