Chelsea Thread - 2023/24

Of all the signings he will be the only one sold for profit to help them with ffp.
Could be next season as well if things do not improve.

Absolutely fascinated to see what they end up having to do in the summer. Thanks to these super long contracts they gave out some of their most expensive but under performing assets still have a huge book value. They face selling them at a big accounting loss loss. Or they hold onto them and keep paying out massive wages to players that aren't being used. This is why I wasn't that outraged about them using the long contract tactic, they were always going to be saddled with poor transfers for years to come because of it.

what would somebody pay for Caicedo now? Or Enzo Fernandez? They'd get big fees but nothing like what they're sat on Chelsea's balance sheet at.

Would be funny if the rest of world football agreed to not sign anyone off Chelsea in the summer as it would absolutely destroy them.

No long term contract has a fixed contract wage over time. It will have suitable improvements over the contract term. Improved contract terms are offered to stop teams poaching and luring players with higher wages.

e.g.
Yr 1 £100K
Yr 2 £115K
Yr 3 £130K + Loyalty Bonus at season end
Yr 4 £150K….
However, once you become integral to the Starting XI, and are getting noticed(!), most agents would start sounding out the Club about a reworking of the terms and the Club would seek increased duration.

e.g. in Palmer’s case, this might be something like…

Yrs 1 & 2 remain as is, to ensure it’s not a one year blip, but maybe a goal/trophy bonus added.

Yr 3 £200K
Yr 4 £225K
Yr 5 £250K + another loyalty bonus
Yr 6 £275K
Yr 7 £300K, plus the addition of 2 yrs
Yr 8 £300K
Yr 9 £300K + loyalty bonus
Yr 10 (Club option) £330K

That is a very simplistic example of how I understand current contracts to be structured. Of course, there are myriad other things thrown in there, including trophies, CL participation, PL wins, Image rights, etc, etc.
Thanks for the insight I feel sure Cole’s agent will be renegotiating already. One thing for sure he is not going to short of money or admirers if he fancies quitting Stamford Bridge in the near future

Absolutely fascinated to see what they end up having to do in the summer. Thanks to these super long contracts they gave out some of their most expensive but under performing assets still have a huge book value. They face selling them at a big accounting loss loss. Or they hold onto them and keep paying out massive wages to players that aren't being used. This is why I wasn't that outraged about them using the long contract tactic, they were always going to be saddled with poor transfers for years to come because of it.

what would somebody pay for Caicedo now? Or Enzo Fernandez? They'd get big fees but nothing like what they're sat on Chelsea's balance sheet at.

Would be funny if the rest of world football agreed to not sign anyone off Chelsea in the summer as it would absolutely destroy them.

Caicedo and Enzo will be starting players at Chelsea for years to come though. That’s a bad example. It’s the likes of Mudryk and Cucurella Chelsea will have a huge headache about unless someone bails them out.

Caicedo and Enzo will be starting players at Chelsea for years to come though. That’s a bad example. It’s the likes of Mudryk and Cucurella Chelsea will have a huge headache about unless someone bails them out.

Mudryk for sure. Cucurella has been a total waste of money but with his contract shorter and fee lower than the others it's not the end of the world.

Think Caicedo has looked poor for you though, so if you're playing him for years to come that's fine by me.

Mudryk for sure. Cucurella has been a total waste of money but with his contract shorter and fee lower than the others it's not the end of the world.

Think Caicedo has looked poor for you though, so if you're playing him for years to come that's fine by me.

I disagree about Caicedo. I think he’s been fantastic after the early part of the season where he was indeed very poor. He’s still very reckless in the tackle and has somehow a couple of red cards this season but generally he’s been very good after November. The narrative around seems to be just people throwing his transfer fee at him and judging him against that. He’s never going to justify his £115m fee, but if judged solely on his performances in isolation, then he’s actually had a pretty good season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.