China: Chinese pre-season (2018?), Sun Jihai, CFA, Shenzhen, Shanghai, & Beijing Blues, etc

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by acton28, 7 Mar 2014.

1. acton28

acton28

Ged Brannan's agent.
    So, the rumours are of City having two games in Shenzhen and Shanghai in summer 2018.
    But before that can even be discussed, here are some photos from a curtailed-event [at half-time] held by Manchester City in Shenzhen on Sunday night. Paul Dickov attended.

[​IMG]

For many blues based in China this was a treat and fans came from Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Dongguan, Huizhou, and Hong Kong to attend. Sadly, some arrived late and were reportedly denied access. And, at half time the screen's power was switched off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Public gatherings are strictly monitored.

[​IMG]

That was a shame because City put together a potentially great evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Previously...

PRE-SEASON DATES IN CHINA

City's International Champions Cup China 2016 schedule:

Manchester City v Manchester United
    25 July 2016, 8pm (local time)
    Beijing

Borussia Dortmund v Manchester City
    28 July 2016, 8pm (local time)
    Shenzhen​

I believe Sun Jiahi is still playing in top flight football at 36. Having just been exiled in China for a year, I shall make it my mission to go at see him play for Guizhou Renhe (they have a 55,000 seater stadium).

Down the road is Sven at Guangzhou R&F (at a ground for around 18000 souls) too. Hopefully I'll get to that game against Sun's team.

What I don't get here (Dongguan/Guangzhou areas) is how poorly followed or how small football is to people. Some people here have never seen a TV game and alot barely even know what soccer/football is. So, who is the Premier League marketing the game too? There is one TV channel (Guandong Sports) here show a selected UK 3pm kick-off at the weekend for free. Now, I have been here since the day after we played Norwich away (roughly 4 weeks) and have been showing off City, and football in general. The response has been very positive. Yet, one hour away is Hong Kong and they are football crazy there!

I understand the People's Republic of China has many different attitudes to sports and the like, but in a country as big as this (I'm overwhelmed by how large the cities are here) I'd have thought with their alternative access to social media (there are versions of everything found in the west and VPNs are normal) football could and should blossom here.

I know the Chinese Super League has strict rules on foreign players and UEFA also controls entrants from outside Europe but China could be a goldmine.

I literally shown one kid how to do kick-ups one day, and two weeks later he is still practicing. He can also shoot now, having fell over the ball the first time I shown him.

The PE teachers at my school just teach badminton, basketball, marching and athletics. I am now coaching them in how to coach basic football. I've been here for so little time, yet everyone I meet wants to try this new-fangled sport that is football.

Some lads I know are up in Inner Mongolia and I have friends in Beijing, yet football pitches, clubs and shirts are rare.

2002, South Korea and Japan, was the first world cup held in Asia. The next possible date for a tournament here could be 2030. The newest host selection policy is that any country may bid for a World Cup, provided that their continental confederation has not hosted either of the past two World Cups. Qatar belongs to the Asia continental confederation. After their spectacular Beijing Olympics, surely now is the time for the powerhouse of China to bid for the World Cup.

I doubt they will. They're export list to the Premier League stands at 5 players.

Dong Fangzhuo – Manchester U****d F.C. – 2006–07
    Li Tie – Everton F.C. – 2002–04
    Li Weifeng – Everton F.C. – 2002–03
    Sun Jihai – Manchester City F.C. – 2002–08
    Zheng Zhi – Charlton Athletic F.C. – 2006–07

Couple in the factor of recent scandals and match fixing, this presents problems for China.

But, here is a country devoid of footballing academies. Here is a country where drilling, practicing and perfecting go hand in hand with success. There is so much potential here.

If City are to be global, a solid partnership with a club and academy network would enhance our Asian presence. I haven't seen any football shirts out here yet, just basketball and athletics jerseys. Not even a dirty red fan (which is perfect).

We have a presence globally in North America (New York City FC ), Australasia (Melbourne Heart FC), Europe (Aarhus; Espanyol; Gil Vicente;Limerick ) and Africa (Right to Dream Academy; Mpumalanga Black Aces) but after a

Last edited: 7 Nov 2017
  2. Zubrman

Zubrman

Train Driver
    I like the idea of Ho Chi Minh City FC.

3. I'm With Stupid

I'm With Stupid

The problem in China is the same one as America. As long as football isn't the number one sport, they're never going to be producing the quality of players that Europe/South America/Africa do. Football is the most competitive sport in the world, so to be successful, you need all of the sporty kids in schools to want to play football. In China, I suspect that football is left to the few that are really into it, whereas the most talented kids will go onto something like badminton or table tennis. And I can't see the Chinese government being too keen on promoting a sport as competitive as football, when they can get loads of Olympic medals by simply pumping loads of money into more niche sports. I honestly think somewhere like the Middle East would be a more fruitful area for us. But China would fit in with our strategy of investing in countries where the sport isn't actually that big (presumably more potential for growth there). I not sure how likely the investments in the US and Australia are to deliver any Premier League quality players though. I don't know if that's even an aim.

-- Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:58 pm --

Ho Chi Man City?

4. Dalian Blue

Dalian Blue

Whatever gets me through the day
    What you describe is very different to the part of China I visit (Dalian). There is a strong following there and I do see Premier league shirts out and about, even old City shirts from the Sun Ji Hai era as it is his home town.

It is possible to get a lot of games live on satellite TV, I had a chat with a guy I know who runs a bar in Dalian and he told me that it can be difficult to get the channels although I did find a supplier setting up a system in another bar. I was planning on setting up a sports bar over there but I've had to put that on hold for a while.

If you get to Beijing you'll find there are plenty of bars around with satellite TV showing live football so it is possible.

I was in Shenzen for a few days while I had to do a visa renewal across to Hong Kong, there are sports bars in Shenzen as well but it is a bit more cosmopolitan being the home of Huawei and ZTE.

Good luck with your time in China, I'd love to get over there again but I doubt that it will be this year.

5. shnaghaicityfish

shnaghaicityfish

I've been living in China (Shanghai) for 4 years and I cant agree with the OP that football isnt big here. When I talk to Chinese work colleagues they are extremely knowledgable about the Premier League and follow it fanatically. TV coverage varies (maybe because the Premier League want so much for the rights nowadays) but social media (PPTV and Tencent) show live games legally every weekend. I see cars everyday with EPL stickers; mainly Scum/Arsenal/Liverpool, but a couple of ours nowadays. Fake replica shirts and other merchandise everywhere. The infrastructure to play the game is a bit weak, but due mainly to the scarcity of pitches where I live. I run an amateur expats team, and we have a long line of Chinese teams wanting to join the league.
    By the way, if you want to be sure of seeing City every weekend Dish TV satellite has all EPL games live (8 parallel channels when needed) with English commentary.

Bumped into Sun Jihai in a restaurant in Shangha a few years ago - still a lovely guy and still loves City

6. Falastur

Falastur

One of the major problems with football in China is that the PL keeps selling its TV rights to a pay-to-view channel with a viewership of only 10,000 whereas everywhere else outside of the UK is on free-to-air so everyone and their mums are watching. Consequently they get very little exposure to the PL.

Also, it was notable that when we bought Melbourne Heart, Soriano said that one of the reasons they moved into the Australian league was its lack of corruption, so I'm not sure if buying a club there would appeal.

7. mansour's tow ropes

mansour's tow ropes

except thats in Vietnam

8. Zubrman

Zubrman

Train Driver
    Oh, bugger!

9. mansour's tow ropes

mansour's tow ropes

don't worry, its just a little bit further down the list!

10. moomba

moomba

Isnt it the case that football in China is largely played by the privileged?

Get an academy set up in any number of large cities in China and get the masses playing and I'm sure you'll end up with some decent footballers out of it.

I've got family that used to live in Ningbo, always struggled to see any football on domestic TV and there werent too many satellite dishes. Probably changed a bit now.