Christian Pulisic

Easiest name to come to mind is Freddie Adu. I also remember Bobby Convey and Jovan Kirovski were both talented youth that garnered a ton of press about how they were going to be the next great thing. None of these three ever came close to doing anything memorable in the sport other than failure.

I'd take Bobby off that list, only because A) I don't remember quite that much hype surrounding him, and B) he was quite serviceable at Reading prior to injury, and just never fought his way back.

I'm with you in spirit though. I'm always hankering for that first world-class American outfielder. That's a story for another thread, though... I'll beg to differ on Christian improving himself and our outlook at City (at this time).

American perspective here: I was thrilled when Cloudy O'Reyna joined us, and over the moon when Damarcus joined on loan, but I think the best thing for club, country, and player in this case is not a move to City. Let him ply his trade at Dortmund for a bit, he's just scratching the first team itch there.

I don't disagree with you. The point of starting the thread was that there was a link made in the media to City having interest. I was simply stating some of the positives that many might not think about. I do agree that he will advance as a player better at Dortmund where he will likely be a more regular starter this next season than he would at City. However if is going to be sold, I'd rather him come to City than go to Real Madrid or Liverpool.

I don't disagree with you. The point of starting the thread was that there was a link made in the media to City having interest. I was simply stating some of the positives that many might not think about. I do agree that he will advance as a player better at Dortmund where he will likely be a more regular starter this next season than he would at City. However if is going to be sold, I'd rather him come to City than go to Real Madrid or Liverpool.

Yep, no argument about this warranting a thread -- if it's in the news, than it's as worthy of having a thread as Pogba is. Just weighing in with my two cents... I think Christian is on the other side of his "youth development" so to speak, and is ready to try his hand at first team football somewhere (rather than develop at an EDS-style environment). We could purchase and send him out on loan, but I have yet to see Christian show signs of ever being a City-level player, and wouldn't want to waste his time under the circumstances.

I hope above hope that he proves me wrong, though.

I'd take Bobby off that list, only because A) I don't remember quite that much hype surrounding him, and B) he was quite serviceable at Reading prior to injury, and just never fought his way back.

I'm with you in spirit though. I'm always hankering for that first world-class American outfielder. That's a story for another thread, though... I'll beg to differ on Christian improving himself and our outlook at City (at this time).

Fair enough on Convey. I can't remember the name of the soccer magazine that I used to get in the mid-late 80s and early 90s. But in it, there were a ton of stories about who to watch, etc. So while it wasn't at the Adu level of hype, he was hyped on my only real source of soccer information.

And I think we are all awaiting that real US star that moves the needle at a faster rate for development in this country. If a kid sees that he can make millions playing this game, it can only help.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.