Chinese OSCs inc. Shenzhen Blues + Sun Jihai + China tours

Sun played a day or so after receiving his award in Manchester at the Football Museum. He left Chongqing Lifan for Guizhou Renhe and from all accounts in local media is deeply tied in with his academy (which seems to be our academy). I'd post news but it does not translate so well.

Sun is a hero in China. Check out his Weibo star profile (like Facebook).

3_6-12-44_2001112820169.jpg

He has profiles everywhere and is regarded as China's first proper football star.

Is that his wife?

Is that his wife?

I think she is an actress or star of some sort. I could be wrong. The below is his public wedding shot.

3_6-12-44_20020111134121.jpg

City's advance in football globally is making positive shockwaves, so much so that footballing bodies at national levels want us on board. China has too many people (that's the official figure), India too. These two markets need stable football leagues with a project of longetivity. China can really speaking only nab four foreigners per team. So that'd be 64 across the league and they can really speaking afford maybe 10-20 top stars throughout the league.

"The league has rules, however, restricting the number of foreign players strictly to four per team, including a slot for a player from AFC countries. A team could use a maximum of three foreign players on the field each game. This is to promote native player improvement and to conform to rules regarding international club competitions in the AFC."

8 teams play in stadia bigger than our place, including #SAVEOURSVEN's Shanghai SIPG. Catchy team name. Some names here are hidden by sponsorship. Guangzhou Fuli (known as Guangzhou R&F) play in blue and white, but more like Wigan (Fuli means strong & force). With a cross city rival in Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao (two sponsors in one name; There's only one Alan plays there too) they'd be ideal if their stadium wasn't so old and small [18,000 capacity]. That said Guangzhou has spare stadiums bigger than Maine Road knocking around almost every district.

Dan Pet Rescue manages the big movers, the ambitious Jiāngsū Sūníng. This is where I'd go if I was CFG. There are the rivals in Shanghai (two out of three are top flight) and one rivalry locally in Hangzhou . Also Ramires and Teixeira are just the icing on the cake. They've signed João Alves de Assis Silva...

Jo.

Read it again - basically we can franchise out the name to a club owned by the Chinese and give them access to our football expertise, for a fee. They do all the investing to make sure they're competitive and they get to use the brand, the coaching methods etc.

Don't forget, that Chinese TV mogul owns about 13% of the CFG, so it's all his own money he's playing with, increasing turnover in the CFG, a percentage of which gets paid to MCFC for the expertise and use of facilities, but none of which costs Abu Dhabi any money, unless they want to.

This is where the whole business plan is years ahead of anything anyone else in football, maybe in world sport, has done before. This isn't about selling a few knock off shirts to get a bigger sponsorship deal

I know what you're saying and it's an interesting idea, but it strikes me that CFG probably wouldn't want to do it that way. CFG aren't just doing this in order to plant the flag in as many territories as possible, they're doing it to make points - that they run the best teams, are the best at fan interactions, that they provide the best environments for female players. Additionally they are doing it as part of a self-appointed mission to build football in countries where it doesn't already dominate, which is another reason why they are all-in on women's football.

I just can't see them being happy to delegate that out to people they can't control. The franchise model is fine so long as the people in charge are good at their jobs. When they're not so good at their jobs then your one shot at building your name in the territory goes up the spout.

For big companies like McDonald's and Subway then that's fine - when you have five restaurants in the same town then your customers just go to the one half a mile away. In football, though, with its rules against multiple teams which are linked to the same owners not being allowed to compete in the same competitions (see Chelsea and Vitesse Arnhem) then the franchise can become your one shot at capturing the hearts and minds of an entire continent.

Not to mention that making it clear that you're only licensing a franchise makes it look like you are less committed to make a difference and more committed to squeezing as much money out of football as possible, which is a whole extra negative publicity area in itself...

Does this spending increase or decrease the chances of us owning a club, aside from City the owners have avoided high spending leagues. Also I am really not sure what clubs are available given the type of owners the clubs have but cannot see us going for a lesser team or setting up a new team in one of the expanding resort type cities
Until China started opening up all the high spending leagues were European. We were never buying into two clubs in Europe.

interesting that Beijing Guoan have a Strategic Development Committee in place. Their shareholder LeTv is linked to CITIC Capital. Kang Zhenyi is on a board connected to CITIC and also Chinese Media Capital. Maybe Beijing Renhe and Beijing Guoan are partnership clubs...

interesting that Beijing Guoan have a Strategic Development Committee in place. Their shareholder LeTv is linked to CITIC Capital. Kang Zhenyi is on a board connected to CITIC and also Chinese Media Capital. Maybe Beijing Renhe and Beijing Guoan are partnership clubs...

Partnership clubs in what sense? If you mean that one controls the other, they wouldn't be allowed to play in the same league so there'd really be no purpose to buying Renhe.

Also I am really not sure what clubs are available given the type of owners the clubs have but cannot see us going for a lesser team or setting up a new team in one of the expanding resort type cities

Is going for a lesser team not exactly what they did with Melbourne City?

Last edited:
Is going for a lesser team not exactly what they did with Melbourne City?[/QUOTE]

Melbourne where a lesser team but they are in a key city and in the top league I mean I cannot see them going for a team outside the top cities in the second division or in a round of expansion franchises assuming they even have that in china

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.