City Football Group (CFG) buy into Chinese club Sichuan Jiuniu FC (from Chengdu)

Uruguay is a good choice choice as if we'd have gone with Brazil or Argentina it may have negatively influenced commercial and acquisition activity in the other one. Accordingly we raise profile in S.America with an established football nation, enable acquisition of young stars and don't upset either of the big two.

where have you heard that bravo wants to go back to spain?

I know someone who's privy to information coming out of Girona.
Moreno will also go there but everything is dependent on them going up.
Lost yesterday but still well clear in second place so fingers crossed.

C.A. Cerro (current Div1 league leaders), C.A.Torque (Div 2) and Rocha F.C. (Div 2) all fit with the CFG colour scheme.

Makes sense in regards to helping us locate the best South American talents, who could then go on loan to Girona (who are very likely to be in La Liga next season) whilst they get their work permit. Also brings in more business in South America in regards to fans choosing a European team to support, signing players like Gabriel Jesus means a large portion of Brazilians will be hoping we do well.

Sammy Lee has also said that low tax could be the reason we chose a club in Uruguay, plus I assume the start up costs and then path to the top cost considerably less than Argentina or Brazil.

Last edited:
Makes sense in regards to helping us locate the best South American talents, who could then go on loan to Girona (who are very likely to be in La Liga next season) whilst they get their work permit. Also brings in more business in South America in regards to fans choosing a European team to support, signing players like Gabriel Jesus means a large portion of Brazilians will be hoping we do well.

Sammy Lee has also said that low tax could be the reason we chose a club in Uruguay, plus I assume the start up costs and then path to the top cost considerably less that Argentina or Brazil.
Very exiting and interesting stuff, this

Correct, just don't get why some people can't see it.
By the way Maffeo outstanding for Girona and Bravo will go there next season if they go up as he wants to go back to Spain.
Great news on Bravo, he's nowhere near as bad as he's been painted by our impartial media but they dye has been cast and it'll be better for all concerned if he went back to Spain.

Sammy Lee has also said that low tax could be the reason we chose a club in Uruguay, plus I assume the start up costs and then path to the top cost considerably less that Argentina or Brazil.

That makes sense to me. I suspect you may well be right.

Uruguay seems a curious choice, football mad of course, but a small market and loads of problems with hooliganism etc. Maybe looking towards supplying players for NYCFC, MLS in general is really targeting South and Central American countries for young players.

I would assume any links with a club in Uruguay will be more along the lines of Girona than NYCFC. They've got an established football culture in Uruguay, if we go and take over a club and rebrand it as "Montevideo City" or whatever, I think we'd face a serious backlash from local fans.

Imagine some big American conglomerate taking over City and rebranding us the Manchester Bulls or something, we'd go ape shit! The Uruguay fans are no doubt just as passionate and deep-rooted as we are, so I can't see any of them accepting a re-brand. Similarly, I couldn't see local fans getting behind a brand new "franchise" team for similar reasons.

As others have said, Uruguay is a fairly small country and it's not a particularly attractive option for us commercially to spend millions increasing our brand presence in Uruguay.

What is attractive though, is a South American base for scouting players from the region, giving youngsters game time at the top level, getting around 3rd party rules etc. So a tie in with a local club could offer huge advantages from a footballing point of view, similar to how Girona does.

But it doesn't make logical sense to have a City branded club in a well established football market like South America in my opinion. If we are to see future "City" branded clubs, I'd expect them to be in new and emerging football markets with potential for huge future commercial growth - China and India being the obvious two.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.