City Fans Leaving Early/Empty seats

Some leave early to get home more quickly, some leave on 40 mins to get served at the bars more quickly. If there was better integration with public transport Links, and U.S-style stadia refreshment vendors, fans would be happier to stick around.

I always stay until the end, but I get on a coach that picks us up outside the stadium and I’m always back home within an hour of the final whistle.

However, whenever I get the tram or (god forbid) have parked at the ground it can take an eternity to get away from the stadium, so don’t blame those who leave early, particularly for later kick offs (especially if you have kids with you). Also, if you’ve bought a ticket then it’s no one else’s business when you decide to leave. Never really understood why people get worked up about it.

As sad as it is to say the main reasons given on here is looks bad on t.v/rag mates taking the piss/ pundits & Journos always having a pop. I mean who gives a flying fuck.

I always stay until the end, but I get on a coach that picks us up outside the stadium and I’m always back home within an hour of the final whistle.

However, whenever I get the tram or (god forbid) have parked at the ground it can take an eternity to get away from the stadium, so don’t blame those who leave early, particularly for later kick offs (especially if you have kids with you). Also, if you’ve bought a ticket then it’s no one else’s business when you decide to leave. Never really understood why people get worked up about it.

Agree that getting away from the stadium is a ballache but not everybody who leaves early uses the tram or parks at the stadium. Some of the exoduses we've had in recent years have been on a scale that beggar belief, especially as a few have happened when it's been a favourable kick-off time and a thumping win to boot. Examples include the 7-0 win over Norwich in 2013 (3pm Saturday kick-off) and the 6-1 win over Newcastle in 2015 (again, a Saturday 3pm kick-off), yet the evacuation from the stadium on both occasions wasn't too far short of the fire drill executed by the Rags in the dying minutes of the FA Cup semi-final in 2011. Even the 5-0 win over Liverpool this season saw loads bail out early, despite it being the early Saturday kick-off. As I said at the time, big wins over Liverpool don't come round very often and 5 goal wins over them come round less often than Halley's Comet so I'm not sure why some fans would not want to savour every moment of that.

I moved to Nottinghamshire when I married my wife ten years ago. I’ve been taking my son since he was about five and we go to five or six games a year. All in all, it’s about eight and a half hours round trip including watching the game and we make sure whenever we go, we make the most out of it and never leave early (knowing we’ll be sat in traffic for at least half an hour afterwards not moving!).

The problem I’ve found quite a lot is both the price and availability of matchday tickets. I tend to buy most of the tickets as soon as they go on sale and we're both cityzens members , although that then means I’ve got quite a hefty bill up front. If we find that we have some time free on a particular week, then we’ll try and get tickets closer to the time. For a lot of games, there is a struggle for us to get two together, despite then seeing plenty that are free at the ground. I do think a lot of people aren't selling them on on the ticket exchange, which is a shame as I do think the demand is there to cover a lot of it.

Financially, it would work out far cheaper for me to get season tickets for both of us again, considering some games cost me £53 for my ticket alone. I really don't want to do that though, knowing that I'll only be able to make 8-9 games max. I do think there is a middle ground though, in terms of possibly reducing the cost of match day tickets slightly if you purchase a certain amount, or making them more realistically priced so that for semi regular matchgoers like myself, it doesn't become a better option to just buy a season ticket and not go.

One thing I would say though is that my father in law is a leicester fan and I've also been to the emirates a fair bit through work. Both of them suffer from the same issues, this isn't a City specific one and is a tricky one to resolve.

This won't be a popular view but to be honest, when compared to getting away from other premier league grounds, I think our fans overstate how difficult it is to get away from the etihad. The trams have to improve but there is also an inevitability that they along with the buses are going to get full when nearly 60k people leave all at once. It's nowhere near as bad as getting away from some of the London grounds which usually means a 30min wait to simply get into a train station and no option of walking. And I dunno how many of you were at Brighton earlier in the season but that was crazy. Dunno how their fans put up with that.

We're a 20-30 minute walk out of the city centre which is a big plus and even though it's hard to find a parking spot there are still decent spots for free within a 10 mins walk of the ground. Driving is still a miles more viable option than it would be in London. I know walking into town isn't possible for everyone, but it is for a lot of us and it's what I usually do if I'm not driving.

This won't be a popular view but to be honest, when compared to getting away from other premier league grounds, I think our fans overstate how difficult it is to get away from the etihad. The trams have to improve but there is also an inevitability that they along with the buses are going to get full when nearly 60k people leave all at once. It's nowhere near as bad as getting away from some of the London grounds which usually means a 30min wait to simply get into a train station and no option of walking. And I dunno how many of you were at Brighton earlier in the season but that was crazy. Dunno how their fans put up with that.

We're a 20-30 minute walk out of the city centre which is a big plus and even though it's hard to find a parking spot there are still decent spots for free within a 10 mins walk of the ground. Driving is still a miles more viable option than it would be in London. I know walking into town isn't possible for everyone, but it is for a lot of us and it's what I usually do if I'm not driving.

Yep. I fully understand that those who are unable to walk far will need to park up at the stadium but there are indeed loads of free parking spaces 10-15 minutes walk from the ground - plenty of great spots in the side streets over the road from Ashburys station for example and people I know who have parked there have never had a problem down the years. Quick getaway up Gorton Lane afterwards in the direction of Hyde Road and on to the M60 up at Denton for those that need it.

Another trick which a mate of mine who has recently moved to Sheffield uses is instead of parking up somewhere near town, and getting the tram back there afterwards he now parks up for free in Droylsden just a minute walk from Droylsden tram stop. Couple of pints before the match then gets the tram to the ground. Afterwards, instead of having to queue with the main body of fans for the trams into town he gets one of the less busier trams going the other way back to Droylsden.

Yep. I fully understand that those who are unable to walk far will need to park up at the stadium but there are indeed loads of free parking spaces 10-15 minutes walk from the ground - plenty of great spots in the side streets over the road from Ashburys station for example and people I know who have parked there have never had a problem down the years. Quick getaway up Gorton Lane afterwards in the direction of Hyde Road and on to the M60 up at Denton for those that need it.

Another trick which a mate of mine who has recently moved to Sheffield uses is instead of parking up somewhere near town, and getting the tram back there afterwards he now parks up for free in Droylsden just a minute walk from Droylsden tram stop. Couple of pints before the match then gets the tram to the ground. Afterwards, instead of having to queue with the main body of fans for the trams into town he gets one of the less busier trams going the other way back to Droylsden.
That tram going back through tameside is equally a fuckin nightmare aft the game. Always two carriages with folk left at the stop.

That tram going back through tameside is equally a fuckin nightmare aft the game. Always two carriages with folk left at the stop.

its getting worse, saturday we had 3 double carriage trams go past us before one came we were allowed to get on, people are now starting to get very irate

Tram rostering and Traffic management at the ground needs major adjustments for match and concert events.
The whole shooting match has to be run by Utd fans.
Probably the North Car park too.
It's a complete and utter shambles.
It took 14 years to pre-pour beer so any change will be glacial.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.