City Fans Leaving Early/Empty seats

Okay I am not going to add anything new as such but 'fans' leaving early really is a bugbear with me and I have to admit I have had one or two arguments with people - usually mind when I have had a beer or two. I just think too many have it too comfortable these days. Blimey they should have tried standing on the terraces 40 years ago and being unable to see two thirds of the pitch. That was maybe a reason to leave early if you could have squeezed out of the crowd. If it takes a long time to get out of the car park, then find somewhere else to park. Might mean having to walk further but so what. Likewise so it takes 20 mins to walk in to town. No problem - rather do that than stand waiting for a tram. It started in the 82nd minute where I sit on Saturday and to be frank it's embarrassing. Too many are too blase these days hence the shocking turnout for the semi final - a lad near me isn't going to bother going to Wembley for the final (if we get there) because it's only the league cup. Says it all really. Others would rather spend 20mins on the concourse drinking and eating. I got home after Watford at 4 am and after Bristol City 3.30 am - try navigating the motorways at that time of night when junctions are closed and lanes are coned off, then you might realise what traffic problems really are. Sorry, but whilst we may all be blues some of us are more committed than others. Best fans in the world? Not as a whole we're not. Yeah it's your prerogative to go early or not bother attending a semi against a Championship side but christ even when we were crap I stayed to applaud the shirt if nothing else.
Note - the elderly and those struggling financially are excluded.

Tram rostering and Traffic management at the ground needs major adjustments for match and concert events.
The whole shooting match has to be run by Utd fans.
Probably the North Car park too.
It's a complete and utter shambles.
It took 14 years to pre-pour beer so any change will be glacial.

Agreed. Surely the club is aware by now the problems fans have getting away from the ground and it wouldn't take much to liaison with the police, staff etc to rectify it or at least improve it.

Not for people with families it isn't
Well that's a huge generalisation because all the lads agreed that the lack of the need to rush to the ground and spend more time in the pub pre-game was better on Saturday for the 17:30 and more of the group have a wife and kids than didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
The outrage. Everything else is to blame.
Could things be better? Yes, but if you don't treat it as though it should be completely convenient for you and instead embrace it as part and parcel of matchday, as it has been for decades, you might even enjoy it and watch 90+ minutes of the team you're there to support. Getting away from Maine Road and other away grounds was/is never a quick process. Think it's a societal factor where convenience is God.

Last edited:
Yep. I fully understand that those who are unable to walk far will need to park up at the stadium but there are indeed loads of free parking spaces 10-15 minutes walk from the ground - plenty of great spots in the side streets over the road from Ashburys station for example and people I know who have parked there have never had a problem down the years. Quick getaway up Gorton Lane afterwards in the direction of Hyde Road and on to the M60 up at Denton for those that need it.

Another trick which a mate of mine who has recently moved to Sheffield uses is instead of parking up somewhere near town, and getting the tram back there afterwards he now parks up for free in Droylsden just a minute walk from Droylsden tram stop. Couple of pints before the match then gets the tram to the ground. Afterwards, instead of having to queue with the main body of fans for the trams into town he gets one of the less busier trams going the other way back to Droylsden.

Less busier trams towards Ashton...pray tell when these run mate.
I get the tram back to Ashton after the games and the trams are rammed and are bloody infrequent.
After the Newcastle game I waited 23 minutes for a tram and in that time there were about 5 trams that weren't letting us on because they were turning round at Asda to run fans back to town.
Trams are a nightmare and as I can't drive at the moment I'm stuck to using them.

I get the tram back to Ashton after the games and the trams are rammed and are bloody infrequent.
After the Newcastle game I waited 23 minutes for a tram and in that time there were about 5 trams that weren't letting us on because they were turning round at Asda to run fans back to town.
Trams are a nightmare and as I can't drive at the moment I'm stuck to using them.

Fair enough mate - sounds like it's a nightmare going both ways then

Bang on the money mate,its a nightmare getting back to ashton and its seriously dangerous the overcrowding,its even worse for me cos i have my 10 year old with me every game.And like you say,its a joke seeing a tram come in but go right past us ,only to turn around at asda to come back the other way,

Fair enough mate - sounds like it's a nightmare going both ways then

It is mate...wasn't having a dig at you by the way.
Fucking wankers who run the tram system should be forced to get on the trams and see just how overcrowded they are after games and stand in the wet and cold whilst watching empty trams go past and turn round at Asda to return to town.
Trams to town look as overcrowded as the ones to Ashton as well and it must be a nightmare if you have young kids with you or are elderly or slightly unsteady on your feet.
I have had emails off City with surveys to fill in and when asked about the transport etc I always tell them that they need to get in touch with Metrolink and get them to run extra trams and use double units but to no avail.

Only going to get worse, no more altrincham to etihad trams. Have to swap halfway. That team is always rammed both ways. Was looking to see if it’s different if match days but doesn’t look it
https://t.co/tH5EMA4BdH

Only going to get worse, no more altrincham to etihad trams. Have to swap halfway. That team is always rammed both ways. Was looking to see if it’s different if match days but doesn’t look it
https://t.co/tH5EMA4BdH

Cornbrook is already a death trap. The amount people now having to spill out to continue their journey home via the Altrincham line, makes it incredibly unsafe.

I wonder if a legal letter from a supporters group about endangering public safety, both in terms of the amount of people being horded on to trams and the platform dangers, would make them reconsider?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.