City & FFP | 2020/21 Accounts released | Revenues of £569.8m, £2.4m profit (p 2395)

Yeah, some very contradictory comments from Wenger there. On the one hand he's having a swipe at FFP, implying the rules aren't strict enough and hinting that City and others are cheating FFP (he's implying it in a more subtle way than Tebas), but on the other he's saying it should be scrapped completely and we should invite heavy investment into clubs from all over the globe in order to maintain the strength of the Premier League.

I would add that while I think Wenger should keep his gob shut (not least because FFP hasn't "failed" as he puts it, and has had some positive effects such as bringing overall losses down amongst European clubs in general), that this could also be a swipe at the Arsenal board for their lack of spending. After all, he's only been an advocate of clubs "living within their means" since Arsenal decided to go that way. Before that, he was more than happy to spend Danny Fiszman's money and before that he was more than happy managing Monaco who, to coin a phrase popularised by Wenger himself, were the very definition of a "financially doped" club at the time.

I think that after our owners investment phase was complete then time made us self sufficient.
By that I mean we were able via ADUG to invest whilst balancing that against our income/ The result is a thriving company by whatever sector of industry you measure it so if City can do this why are Arsenal in potential trouble with FFP ?

They had their business running smoothly so what went wrong ? This is a business issue and not an FFP problem.

Its the premier league ffp rules that he should be worried about and why Arsenal only bought 1 player.
That's right. UEFA doesn't impose any wage cap but the PL does. Given that their revenue will probably be down this financial year due to participation in the EL rather than the CL, that means they can't increase wages significantly unless they get a big increase in commercial income. As they were one of the clubs demanding that the PL were strict in their application of cost control measures, I really don't have any sympathy whatsoever.

Surely Wenger's comments mean that, just like with AC Milan when another corrupt self serving **** got the rules he asked for, relaxed to suit him, Wenger has heard of interested parties who might buy out Arsenal, but not under the present rules where they would not be allowed to invest ?

So now, like Berlusconi, he wants the rules changing, to suit him, just as they were changed to suit him, in the first place.

Unfortunately for Wenger, there would be no advantage in this, for Manchester Utd or Liverpool, here, or indeed Bayern Munich or Barca etc in europe, so it aint happening.

Surely Wenger's comments mean that, just like with AC Milan when another corrupt self serving **** got the rules he asked for, relaxed to suit him, Wenger has heard of interested parties who might buy out Arsenal, but not under the present rules where they would not be allowed to invest ?

So now, like Berlusconi, he wants the rules changing, to suit him, just as they were changed to suit him, in the first place.

Unfortunately for Wenger, there would be no advantage in this, for Manchester Utd or Liverpool, here, or indeed Bayern Munich or Barca etc in europe, so it aint happening.

Good point. Perhaps the penny is finally dropping with some of these clubs that they can't move forward without external investment but who wants to take them over if they can't build a business. Imagine if someone wanted to buy Everton now. A traditional "big club" moving to a fantastic waterfront stadium backed by the council. It's a major opportunity for an external buyer but FFP will prevent it happening. Whoever takes over Everton will have to invest more than their football revenues in the squad for at least five years to build a sustainable business. I would welcome Everton to the party. The cartel clubs like Arsenal deserve the kicking they are getting.

Good point. Perhaps the penny is finally dropping with some of these clubs that they can't move forward without external investment but who wants to take them over if they can't build a business. Imagine if someone wanted to buy Everton now. A traditional "big club" moving to a fantastic waterfront stadium backed by the council. It's a major opportunity for an external buyer but FFP will prevent it happening. Whoever takes over Everton will have to invest more than their football revenues in the squad for at least five years to build a sustainable business. I would welcome Everton to the party. The cartel clubs like Arsenal deserve the kicking they are getting.

Everton were one of the clubs voting to block us, so they can fuck right off imo. I hope they are forever handicapped by the rules they voted for.

The funny thing about this, is that us plebs on here, were all warning these people, that the regulations would not stop us, but would in the long run aid Manchester Utd & help keep the other clubs 'in their place' below.

And we told them this over some considerable time, before the Prem, led by Arsenal, voted for more regs.

Were they really so stupid, or was it that they figured they would all cash in, when the Sky money was inevitably increased, failling to realise that the top clubs, especially Utd, would force up transfer fees & swallow it all up ?

That's right. UEFA doesn't impose any wage cap but the PL does. Given that their revenue will probably be down this financial year due to participation in the EL rather than the CL, that means they can't increase wages significantly unless they get a big increase in commercial income. As they were one of the clubs demanding that the PL were strict in their application of cost control measures, I really don't have any sympathy whatsoever.
Me neither mate. Really hope this reduced income creates a vicious downward spiral for them, can't attract top players due to Europa league, can't pay top wages due to reduced revenue, finish outside the top 4 again etc.

Everton were one of the clubs voting to block us, so they can fuck right off imo. I hope they are forever handicapped by the rules they voted for.

The funny thing about this, is that us plebs on here, were all warning these people, that the regulations would not stop us, but would in the long run aid Manchester Utd & help keep the other clubs 'in their place' below.

And we told them this over some considerable time, before the Prem, led by Arsenal, voted for more regs.

Were they really so stupid, or was it that they figured they would all cash in, when the Sky money was inevitably increased, failling to realise that the top clubs, especially Utd, would force up transfer fees & swallow it all up ?

I have no love for Everton (never forgiven them since Judas Kendall) but in the long-term the more clubs challenging the fairer the system. I don't want City to join the cartel. All I have ever wanted as a City fan was a flat pitch. I define the corrupt cartel as United, Arsenal, Bayern, Real Madrid, Barca, and probably AC Milan These are the clubs who have twisted the rules and infiltrated the top levels of football for decades. Chelsea started the battle against them and now we have joined in. PSG are arguably as dodgy as anyone in the cartel.
I don't want preferential treatment for city.. just fairness and balance. That's why I hate the biased media coverage we get.
I would love to see investment at clubs like Forest, Wolves, both Sheffields, and West Ham. These clubs deserve a shot at the top table like us. I exclude Leeds for obvious reasons and Villa because of the dogger!

I think if people are assuming us and PSG are going to be working together as we're both victims of the same injustice I wouldn't bank on it.

They'd sell us down the river in a heartbeat.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.