City & FFP | 2020/21 Accounts released | Revenues of £569.8m, £2.4m profit (p 2395)

@Prestwich_Blue given we were cutting it fine last season in terms of making a small profit and we appear to be spending a small fortune this window, how much d you think we've reduced our amortisation down by in extending the contracts of KDB, Dinho and Otta?

(or does it not really matter as we sold a load of players in the summer 2017 after the accounting period already released had finished.)

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding very roughly as I don't know if half years are important, de Bruyne was 55M on a 6 year deal (wikipedia). Amortisation is therefore about 9M a year.
2 years amortisation makes that a book value of 37M, now spread over 6 more years, so 6M and a bit a year on the accounts
Saving of about 3M/year.
Fernandinho's will be pretty small, I'd think, as the contract was almost up.

It appears to be a fairly minor effect overall. Assuming transfermarkt figures are reasonable (222M gross purchase), and guessing at 5 year average, that amortises to 45M a year on the books for this season's purchases alone. To that, there is 85M sales income.

Listening to Talkshite discussing it yesterday.
Nice of them to single us and PSG out as likely to be most affected by any change in FFP.
They obviously think its 2009 and have ignored our income currently.
Listening to them discuss our likely drop out of the top 20 in DeLoittes rich League was fucking hillarious

Listening to Talkshite discussing it yesterday.
Nice of them to single us and PSG out as likely to be most affected by any change in FFP.
They obviously think its 2009 and have ignored our income currently.
Listening to them discuss our likely drop out of the top 20 in DeLoittes rich League was fucking hillarious

I'm sure some time ago on here someone pointed out we even made that top 20 when Pearce was our fucking manager! So how they can think we'd drop out of it now is beyond me!

@Prestwich_Blue given we were cutting it fine last season in terms of making a small profit and we appear to be spending a small fortune this window, how much d you think we've reduced our amortisation down by in extending the contracts of KDB, Dinho and Otta?

(or does it not really matter as we sold a load of players in the summer 2017 after the accounting period already released had finished.)
Well it matters but don't forget that our wages are double the amount of amortisation so selling players ornot renewing their contracts effectively frees up cash, as does extending contracts. One on its own may not make much difference but extending 5 or 6 will make a difference. That would be equivalent to taking something like 4 senior players off the wage bill.

Also the proft from selling players like Iheanacho, where we had little or no purchase cost, goes straight onto the bottom line. We probably generated something like £50-60m transfer profit alone last summer, which will be reflected in the accounts to June 2018.

The easiest way to put an end to the constant wrangling over FFP is for all transfers to have a 10% levy imposed on them and collected by UEFA. This money could then be used [ostensibly] to improve facilities throughout Europe whether this be at grass roots level or as grants towards the improvements of old or dangerous stadia, or even as direct intervention into struggling clubs such as Blackburn and Blackpool, clubs where supporters have been bled dry by owners who have no qualms about destroying a club and it's heritage just for personal gain. This will never happen of course, but the self interest of UEFA executives seeing a pile of money coming in, and with expenses guaranteed, would see many a blind eye being turned towards ever rising transfer fees.

Did Striani (the Bosman lawyer) give up on his legal challenge to FFP? I think the ECJ said they wouldn't adjudicate because the Belgian court hadn't really looked at it (the Belgian court knew it would go to the ECJ so just tried to refer it to them upfront).

I don't know why anyone gets wound up by 'Financial Fair Play' or even bothers mentioning it.

Any lawyer or someone with a knowledge of how business law operates is that it is fundamentally anti-competitive. Football clubs are operated as businesses. The fact the head of La Liga has verbal diarrhoea and claims rivals are cheating would be enough to disturb many lawyers.

The UK banned mandatory fee scales decades ago. The EU has the OJEU on procurement which ensures all applicants get a fair shot. Football fans don't understand it. Some clubs could quite successfully challenge it in the courts but this would make them an enemy of the 'football elite' which is an uncomfortable place to be. So pragmatism is the order of the day.

I suspect Dupont, Striani et al gave up because the UEFA FFP regulations were so watered down it was pointless spending money and time on it in court any further.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.