City Firm?!?

Check out the history of Manchester and you'll find out that gangs of lads kicking shit out of each other isn't a 20th century thing, it's been happening for years. It's just that it evolved with the times and from fighting for districts where you lived branched out to taking on other lads from different cities/towns. It's just the nature of the beast, the occupants of this country have been fighting for centuries.

ratherdeadthanred said:
i think - just think! there might be a turn out against stoke! this year

well if there aint we could be in deep shit because its sure to go off down there

Cheesy said:
blueskies2 said:
Actually that's true as far as my experience goes. Only other firms/mobs who wanted some action were targeted by us blue Mancs. What's the point other wise? Personally I hated bullies funnily enough and went out of my way to intimidate those who intimidated. I got a good kicking a few times, by RAGS mainly outside The Northumberland on Chester Road on one occasion. One of the reasons I hate RAGS more than anyone as they also tried to stab me to death on Princess Parkway one night after a cup night game against Hartlepool. Things like that turn you into a violent young man.

Not my experience unfortunately. I actually got a kicking from some of the City lads back in 1988(?) when we played at West Brom. Why? Well, merely because I was in with the City fans yet I've got a Midlands accent. Nice.

Whatever side of this you come from, what Cheesy says is definitely true and anyone who isn't some sort of rosetinted, nostalgia fuelled fool knows it.

Anyone who has been to football regularly, especially in the past, has seen numerous innocent individuals get a hiding from wankers from all sorts of different teams. Yet each set of 'hard men' always spout the same tripe about they being the 'good guys' who would never do it and their opposition always being the sort of 'bad guys' who would.

Well, guess what chaps, it happened every week at every ground so someone must be lying.

In fact, if you ever get talking to some of the less idealistic of them, the ones who are not sad enough to try to romanticise big groups of pissed blokes going around trying to find smaller groups of people to beat up, then they will often freely admit that every single group of them would regularly, intentionally or not, cause inncoent people to be hurt (often severely).

That is a fact, and no amount of revised, rose-tinted bollocks will convince anyone who attends football, and isn't coming from a 'those we the days - we were top boys' direction, otherwise

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
Whatever side of this you come from, what Cheesy says is definitely true and anyone who isn't some sort of rosetinted, nostalgia fuelled fool knows it.

Anyone who has been to football regularly, especially in the past, has seen numerous innocent individuals get a hiding from wankers from all sorts of different teams. Yet each set of 'hard men' always spout the same tripe about they being the 'good guys' who would never do it and their opposition always being the sort of 'bad guys' who would.

Well, guess what chaps, it happened every week at every ground so someone must be lying.

In fact, if you ever get talking to some of the less idealistic of them, the ones who are not sad enough to try to romanticise big groups of pissed blokes going around trying to find smaller groups of people to beat up, then they will often freely admit that every single group of them would regularly, intentionally or not, cause inncoent people to be hurt (often severely).

That is a fact, and no amount of revised, rose-tinted bollocks will convince anyone who attends football, and isn't coming from a 'those we the days - we were top boys' direction, otherwise

Yup! The biggest problem is that we now seem to have a certain breed of 'fan' coming back in to the game who believe all this romantic nonsense they hear. They tend to be young enough to have not seen it at is worst so I guess it's easy for them to fall in to that trap. I've served in Iraq & I was still more scared of losing my life (genuinely) at some of the games I attended in the 80's & I was never part of any firm.

blueskies2 said:
Cottonopoilis..do you know Geezer and Jap?
Geezer, every blue over 40 in Gorton knows Geez don`t they. Knocked about with Rio and Baz. Jap, joined the army didn`t he. They were part of the `Belle vue bus stop` crew in the late 70`s.

I have'nt posted for a while but this is a subject I look back on regulary.(I'm 44 now) In the 80's probably 82-86 me and my mates went everywhere and never really going out for mither we would'nt back away either. I knew Daft Donald I thought he was into theiving on aways more than owt else and remember the MayneLine even though we never attached ourselves to either. It was all about getting pissed a bit of pinching especially in London and the rest took care of it self. We started going on the specials from Picadilly but graduated to regular service trains. Games that stand out in my memory are Cardiff away 84? they had fans in our end. Walsall away in the cup, 85 Brum had their game called off and the Zulus spent the whole day travelling from New Street out to Walsall looking for City fans. I think Newcastle 83 was a bad un seem t remember the geordies really having a go at anyone making their way to the City end, theres probably more. Oh Notts County don't remember the season we needed a win to go up they were relegated I think we were 2 or 3 down in first 20 mins Billy Mcneil had to come on to the pitch to calm things down.
Had plenty of aways that were quality with no bother again usually London, even though Euston could be scary. Firms, mobs, boys whatever you call them have never gone away or ever will. If theres anything involving City these days I always root for me own and thats how it is.

Cottonopolis said:
blueskies2 said:
Cottonopoilis..do you know Geezer and Jap?
Geezer, every blue over 40 in Gorton knows Geez don`t they. Knocked about with Rio and Baz. Jap, joined the army didn`t he. They were part of the `Belle vue bus stop` crew in the late 70`s.

I still see geezer with his son. We went to school together too. Love this thread minus the tarts.

zandvoort blue said:
BillyMC said:
I used to go to the russell/factory every weekend..mixture of punks and City/united boys, also the mayflower, the old cavendish house poly building. My highlightsts were Joy Division, the Damned and Slaughter and the Dogs (Wythenshawes finest..Wayne Barret was a big blue)..where have all the boot boys gone being the main floor filler! Still remember New Orders firts gig, the Hoax, Armed Force(Dentons Finest) , the Hamsters, Mick Hucknalls shitty first band .. the Frantic Elevators, The Police at the Free trade hall in 78/79, 200 scallies watching U2 at the old salford uni students union....fuck Im rambling now!!

Did a few of those myself....remember The Cramps, they supported The Police at the FTH, they were shite and got booed off stage. And The Damned at Cavendish House circa 1980 was a hostile night out. Got to see Joy Division at one of their first sessions at a Village Hall out near Lymm if I remember rightly. The Hacienda when it first opened was brill, until the "pop" took over. Another excellent night was The Charlatans at Granada studios where we blagged it in. Also did U2 at a few venues before they were famous, Cavendish, FTH................all the lads that went to the football in those days were also to be seen on these nights out. As was said by others football and music went hand in hand in the 80s.

Also anyone go to Cyprus Tavern............it used to be mental in there...........this extract is taken from another site:
http://liberal-elite.blogspot.com/2006/09/oh-manchester-so-much-to-answer-for.html said:
yiannis kitromilides said...
The Cyprus Tavern was legendary in Manchester . It was the first night club to allow students in the late 70s . It was a bit of a rough and ready place and became a focal point for Manchesters football hooligan scene in particular Man Citys "young guvnors" .In 1991 it became the Granby, Manchesters first late night bar . It was frequented by many celebrities including Steve Coogan It finally closed its doors in August 2000 a victim of its own success as all the big beer companies had cottoned on to the idea of late night bars . The reason I know so much about the Cyprus Tavern, my father opened it in 1967 and I became owner manager in 1989 having completed my degree at the toast rack in Fallowfield

I went to that Police gig. The Cramps lead singer (Lux Interior??) jumped in to the seats and started chasing some women around the ground floor. Great memories!

Cheshire Blue said:
Always hear the stories of my dad about the old days when there used to be fights at pritty much ever match etc.

teams like Chelsea and West ham have know firms. What was City's like or called. Does it still exist?

Sorry for random questions just bored at work and always wanted to know. If you dont want to out anything across the forum, then PM me.

Cheers
There are plenty of Books about City Hooligans .somw are good some are Shite .Maine Road was a place Away fans hated in the 70s & 80s .alot of lads got involved at Away games as sometimes there was no choice .A Good book has just come out called Football for Life by Simon Cooper & i ttouches on some of Citys Lads

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.