City overtake united and liverpool in U.S. TV viewers

I think it's pretty simple. The yanks just want entertainment. They are the masters of the entertainment industry. They don't care so much about the why and wherefores - the fact of the matter is we have extremely entertaining players to watch.
If you told a yank to watch united under mourinho just because they were previously successful he'd think you were an idiot - and for someone with no particular social/geographical allegiances it is entirely understandable.
This just about sums it up. We are, and I expect us to be for the foreseeable, the easiest on the eye when we're in full flow.

Was about to reply as only just seen yours, however @karen7 has done it for me, the show and it's sponsors will probably have paid for it, no doubt they'll be a video of his trip and all the advertising for BA, Midland hotel etc.. will mean it's probably paid for by them if not the show itself.

You'll find your answers here....

http://www.answers.com/Q/Who_pays_for_all_the_gifts_that_Ellen_degeneres_gives_away?#slide=1

The best answer I found to explain the business model is...

"When they give away things like TVs, they are usually provided by the manufacturer in return for the advertising value of being mentioned on her show. Cash would come out of the money made by the show."

So, to use this lads trip to Manchester as an example, all the stakeholders in this "promotion", Britain is Great, City,The Midland Hotel, Singapore Airlines even as Ellen says "Thanks to the City of Manchester" they will have all pitched in for the cost of the trip.

Over and above the cost of the trip, these "stakeholders" (private companies and public bodies like Britain is Great and the City of Manchester, which will have some form of promotional tourism budget) will also pay the show a fee for the advertising pitch Ellen made. This additional fee (over and above of the cost of the giveaway itself) from all the companies who advertise/promote on the show, together with the revenue from traditional commercial breaks, funds the shows costs, which includes Ellen's salary (she earns $70 million a year, though I doubt it all comes from the show, a fair chunk will) and all other production costs which includes the cash giveaways.

What's left over is profit for Warner Bros Television.

Last edited:
Been in America for the last week or so and every American I've spoken to about "soccer" has had no idea that NYCFC were connected to City, and are all far more interested in the "EPL" than the MLS. This is Florida though, so probably not a good representation of America as a whole...
Actually it is. The majority of "soccer" fans here follow teams in Europe, Mexico, or South America depending on where they come from. The MLS is poor and just not that interesting. We also love our USMNT and USWNT.

Actually it is. The majority of "soccer" fans here follow teams in Europe, Mexico, or South America depending on where they come from. The MLS is poor and just not that interesting. We also love our USMNT and USWNT.

I would agree with that as well (except for Florida representing America as a whole.) Maybe if America is a double wide filled with toxic algae and a TV that shows nothing but Seminoles games and TMZ style news.

Couldn't help but think of Merson when I read this. When the the Sky crew were talking about City last week,he commented that Gabriel Jesus couldn't be THAT good a player otherwise Manchester United, Real Madrid & Barcelona would have been in for him (showing his usual broad knowledge about football).

"Why would he go to City? I mean they're not Man United are they? He'd've gone to Man Utd!"

At which point Geoff mentions that City are above them in the Premiership & in the Champion's League. Waste on Merson. He believes there is no reason Jesus would sign for City if Utd were interested.

Just a few pointers as to why:
1. City have been in the Champions League for the last 6 years - Manchester United haven't
2. In the last 5 years City have won 2 PL championships 2 League Cups & reached the semi finals of the Champions League - Manchester United haven't
3. City have the most successful manager in history in terms of trophies won per season - Manchester United haven't
4. City have the manager universally recognised as the most innovative in football in charge - Manchester United haven't
5. City have the best academy in the UK (ex Manchester United players send their sons there) - Manchester United don't

If you were a 19 year old looking for a club to nurture your talent, where would you go?

LOL c'mon now! Florida is a great state second only to Texas!

Oh of course. I love both places. But we are just as aware as our regional differences as our British brethren are. I'm from Oregon. You've seen Portlandia. We do things differently out here! I have a friend from Austin and he still complains about the Northwest all the time.

Simply as that their parent not watch football so no one force them to support boring Manure playing in Europa. They choose by themselves to watch the most entertainment football.

I'm not sure why City are preferred here in the states
Quality of football, Pep himself, kit color?
(Not the creamsicle mind you)
Whatever it is it's not FA match coverage
Josh's broadcast was my only thread while Chelsea and the spurs were carried on Fox 1&2 and that's not the first time I've gone without on match day. Match day thread by itself isn't my favorite day of experience.
Interesting times in the states regarding footy
It's taken off tremendously.
Not long ago it was computer threads only.
Now it's every EPL match with most of the FA.
A lot of Europe also
Although the reds seem to get top billing on thursdays

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.