City v Liverpool - Post Match Thread

Haha. You still loved your dad though, I hope. :)
Of course. I used to joke "I love my dad very much but I wish he had supported the scum!!!" Funny thing there was a hard core of City fans in my school in the late 80's and early 90's and no matter how bad it got we never once wavered in our support for City. But the dirty scum would get all lairy if anything didn't quite go their way. I pray we never become that 'entitled' as a fan base.

Saleh got in behind us four times in the opening 30 minutes that I recall. Once Ota gave away a free kick on the edge of the area that could have cost us (but didn't), once he got his cross in but we dealt with it, once he got a weak shot off that Ederson easily saved at the near post, and the last was a one on one that he should have buried but Ederson made a good save low to his right.

It was alarming how easily he skinned Ota, but I thought generally the defence coped with the threat from the Liverpool right. For three of the above four incidents I can remember, we were back in numbers by the time Saleh produced his end product. When Ota gave away a free kick, Stones and Danilo were back covering already, as they were for the weak near post shot. There was also a cross that Ederson gathered in in the six yard box that we also had cover for. Saleh only got clear one-on -one once, and Ederson saved well.

This Liverpool front three will create chances against every team in the league. I don't think think it follows at all that because Saleh got in behind us more than once, the defence must be shit. On all but one occasion, we had it covered. We were sorely tested, but we got through it.

And it will be some time before we meet another opposition striker with his pace.

Good point. We have seen enough to know that Otamendi can't play on the left-hand side of a back three against quick players but the general concern about our defence (much repeated in the media) is overplayed. Our defence last season wasn't that bad. We conceded few chances but Bravo had a nightmare. In fact we have conceded just seven goals in our last 12 premier league games (an unbeaten run). If we maintain that we could achieve the best defensive record in our history! With Walker, Mendy, Ederson, Stones and Danilo we have a strong unit. We need to resolve the Vinny injury issue one way or the other.

It's the range of crosses - cut backs along the ground, raking diagonals, near post, far post and usually first time (no hesitation).
And thats the thing..first time,no hesitation..you have to be a damn fine ,technically brilliant footballer to fire in such a range of crosses in such a natural fashion without needing a second touch for reassurance...i am well impressed.

Reaction from a couple of La Liga fans while watching the game highlights

Which only goes to show what a biased and ignorant set of bastards the entire British media are when it comes to City. Two fans of the two best club sides in the world and with no axe to grind, a) full if admiration for Aguero, KDB and Silva (none of whom make it into our domestic team of the year), b) in raptures about the quality of our play and c) without a second's hesitation identifying Mane's challenge as a red card offence.

Which only goes to show what a biased and ignorant set of bastards the entire British media are when it comes to City. Two fans of the two best club sides in the world and with no axe to grind, a) full if admiration for Aguero, KDB and Silva (none of whom make it into our domestic team of the year), b) in raptures about the quality of our play and c) without a second's hesitation identifying Mane's challenge as a red card offence.
Yep

THIS!

Absolutely spot on.

Yep - I recently had a long weekend in Copenhagen and saw a bit of Sports reporting - lots on English premier League and the difference in positivity about City was astonishing. Watched a 10 minute programme on how great David Silva is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.