City v West Brom post match

Pep seemed to have a special word for Vinny when he came off - i like to think it was “that was a masterclass of central defending, up there with the best I’ve seen” - he was that good. Vinny visibly touched by his words anyway, whatever they were.
Noticed that - an extended hug, handshake and bum pat from the boss. Don't think Vinny's going anywhere!

Fantastic performance. Absolute domination in the first half. Ok, let it slip a bit at the end. The romantic in me says it was because of the emotion around Zabba. The realist says we were short of quality in midfield after Silva and Yaya came off.

Great performance - dominated the ball, which has much to do with working so hard to get it back (take a bow, Leroy Sané and KDB, unusually).

Vinny was incredible last night. Can't remember seeing any Premier League forward get absolutely dominated as Rondon did last night. Too strong, too quick and too skillful for him. Great moment with Zabs when he gave him the armband and a classy speech at the end.

Very decent all round performance with Kompany, Aguero, Yaya and KDB all standing out. For all the talk about getting new full backs, I honestly think it is just as important that we bring in a top class centre back. Kompany is immense, totally changes the overall dynamic of our team with his leadership and defensive instincts/ability but if he gets injured and we are left with Stones and Otamendi as a partnership for a long spell next season, I don't think we will do much better in the major competitions than we have this season.

Very decent all round performance with Kompany, Aguero, Yaya and KDB all standing out. For all the talk about getting new full backs, I honestly think it is just as important that we bring in a top class centre back. Kompany is immense, totally changes the overall dynamic of our team with his leadership and defensive instincts/ability but if he gets injured and we are left with Stones and Otamendi as a partnership for a long spell next season, I don't think we will do much better in the major competitions than we have this season.

I think Stones will continue to improve but he'll do it more quickly with a more experienced top quality guy next to him that isn't Ota. I think Stones will become a leader in his own right but Ota is only ever going to be a sidekick; although he can be a very decent one. So, yeah, we do need to buy another CB cos we cannot take a risk on Vinnie being fit consistently but what a massive bonus it would be if he is.

Some beautiful, beautiful football last night, especially in the first half. Thing is, everyone played well. I can't single out one weak link. If I wanted to quibble, I'd say that Leroy wasn't at all on his game for about the first fifteen minutes, he's the only one. Then he gradually grew into the game, and he was a tornado for the rest of it.
But you know, we've actually played quite a lot of that football this season, and got sweet f.a. out of it. We all know which matches I'm talking about. Partly our own fault – poor finishing, slack defending, referees making staggeringly unjust decisions, what you will – but that's the truth. I'm a bit amazed when I see people comparing this season to the end of Manuel Pellegrini's tenure. Granted, he won us a trophy, and granted, we got CL qualification (by a whisker), as this season. But I was actually bored by that team in the second half of the season. I've been often exasperated by us this season, but virtually never bored. And when you look at that borefest across the city, if you can bear to – yes, he's got them one trophy, maybe he's going to get them a second – but it's excruciatingly boring to watch. Is that the “United way”? Keep it…
This team believes in the man that's managing them. They've had difficulty executing what he wants at times, and that's partly their fault, partly his, for asking them to do things that they simply don't have the quality to do (some of them). It will come good. And if it doesn't in his second season, then Pep must answer some very hard questions, for sure. But for the moment, I believe.

Oh, and special mention for Caballero. Granted he had virtually nothing to do shot-stopping wise. I'm not talking about that. Anybody notice that superb pass he played over a West Brom player's head and out to the wing at one point? It is simply a myth that Claudio Bravo's distributional abilities are superior to Willy's – this season, at any rate, I've seen no evidence for that.

Last edited:
Great team performance last night and I think it was a big character building exercise with us practically getting there with top 4 and the great show of fan appreciation for Zab. The whole team thing is a big deal for Pep and last night was all about an appreciation for the players that we haven't had for a very long time. It helps to build a fan/player relationship which has been struggling of late, it was great to see that so many stayed on. Even Sky to be fair gave us good coverage.

Professional performance last night not helped by the ref letting them kick our players over and over again. Some great slick passing and movement before all the subs came on and yes WBA were poor but considering they put everyone behind the ball we were patient and kept getting in behind them. Only downside again is that it should have and could have been at least six.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.