City vs Gillingham Anniversary

Damocles

Administrator
Is today.

Possibly the most important game in the history of the club. Certainly it felt like it, I'm not sure many of us could really have done another season or two in the third tier and lived to tell the tale.

Here's the extended highlights and a tweet from Dickov.

Just watching those highlights back, I've just recalled that we twatted them on the day and 2-0 would have been a ridiculous result. Forgot about that.

Had mobile updates from a Gillingham girl by the pool in Tunisia, it was 2-2 when her battery died, 4 hours later I found out the score.

Typical City booked it the Monday after York away thinking the season was over, fucking Tunisia didn't have SS2 that the game was on, Mrs Moon was less than impressed I spent 2 days trawling Hammermet to try and find somewhere that was showing it.

The Dickov goal still tops the Aguero one for me in terms of the sheer manicness of the celebration. It just went on and on and on and on. I've never felt such an adrenalin rush after a goal either before or since. Wild though I went when Sergio scored, it was tinged with sheer relief. The Dickov moment was just sheer unfettered joy. I was down near the corner flag on the opposite side from where he shot, and went over two rows of those shitty bench style seats Wembley used to have, barking my shins and screaming 'yes, yes, yes' over and over again.
I know it's been said a million times before, but we left everything in the stadium that day. I was mentally shattered afterwards. Just stood there in the queue for the train back into Marylebone with no-one saying a word. Most football teams will conjure up one miracle result in a lifetime that their fans can re-live over and over again, but we're so lucky to be Blues because we've not only done it twice, but in circumstances that would propel those moments into any discerning neutral's top 10 for incredible drama. The fact that the rags had just done the treble, the fact that on top of 20 odd years of idiotic cock ups we were now about to take hapless bad luck and incompetence to a whole new level, the fact that the club's finances were so shot we stood to lose our best players and potentially spend years in the League One twilight zone, the fact that we'd bossed the game and yet still contrived to be 2-0 down with 90 minutes on the clock and the whole world watching and laughing, I don't think any set of fans had ever stared into such an abyss of misery.......which of course only served to further accentuate the absurd high of Dickov's goal. What a day

The Dickov goal still tops the Aguero one for me in terms of the sheer manicness of the celebration. It just went on and on and on and on. I've never felt such an adrenalin rush after a goal either before or since. Wild though I went when Sergio scored, it was tinged with sheer relief. The Dickov moment was just sheer unfettered joy. I was down near the corner flag on the opposite side from where he shot, and went over two rows of those shitty bench style seats Wembley used to have, barking my shins and screaming 'yes, yes, yes' over and over again.
I know it's been said a million times before, but we left everything in the stadium that day. I was mentally shattered afterwards. Just stood there in the queue for the train back into Marylebone with no-one saying a word. Most football teams will conjure up one miracle result in a lifetime that their fans can re-live over and over again, but we're so lucky to be Blues because we've twice conjured up victories out of fresh air that would probably feature in any neutral's top 10 for incredible drama. The fact that the rags had just done the treble, the fact that on top of 20 odd years of idiotic cock ups we were now about to take hapless bad luck and incompetence to a whole new level, the fact that the club's finances were so shot we stood to lose our best players and potentially spend years in the League One twilight zone, the fact that we'd bossed the game and yet still contrived to be 2-0 down with 90 minutes on the clock and the whole world watching and laughing, I don't think any set of fans had ever stared into such an abyss of misery.......which of course only served to further accentuate the absurd high of Dickov's goal. What a day

Superbly said mate.

The coach home that day back to Heywood was deadly silent as everyone just sat their absolutely mentally and emotionally drained.

What a day! Couldn't get a ticket in the city end so ended up with the Gills fans.
Walked out on the second goal, kicking a coke bottle that hit a copper right in the nuts, accidentally of course!
Heard the first City goal go in and tried to get back in the city end along with about 10,000 others, old bill on horses turned us away.
Ended up watching the extra time and penalties in a boozer behind Baker st, packed with blues who had done the same thing, turned into great night.

I was totally drained afterwards, as well. Remember four of us ending up at a pub on Euston Road near the station and just sitting there in silence with our pints shaking our heads. It was the sort of thing I only ever expected to experience once, even following a club like City with our penchant for doing things the hard way.

I always see the replay of Dickov's goal from behind the goal and still wonder how that ball stayed under the bar, it looks like it should sail straight over..

Joe Royal was on the radio after the game and he said it was as though god peaked behind the clouds and saw all the miserable City fans and said, "they've suffered enough" and with a wave of his hand changed the game" - or something like that.

I'm an athiest but that is as close to a miracle as I have ever seen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.