City vs Gillingham Anniversary

The day of my daughters christening. I left early to see it. I was with a Utd fan who supported City that day and shot down all others who were laughing. Never felt anything like the rush afterwards, Aguero came very close but the sheer relief was draining

Superbly said mate.

The coach home that day back to Heywood was deadly silent as everyone just sat their absolutely mentally and emotionally drained.

I think the other thing that set that day apart was the sheer unexpected novelty of the comeback. In all my years watching City to that point, I couldn't ever recall us having scored two late goals like that in a game of any sort, never mind the most important one in the club's history. I can remember beating Oxford (2-1) and West Brom (3-2) both at Maine Road in the mid to late 80's, but there were a good 5 minutes of normal time left when we equalised, and that's about as close as it got. At Wembley the clock had just ticked over into injury time when Horlock scored, so I had no expectation that we might snatch another whatsoever. In fact, I did what one or two other Blues did and barely even cheered, so many times had we flattered to deceive in similar situations in the past. Again, all just added to the spice of Dickov's winner.

Same as others completly drained remember getting train back to warrington went in first class as train rammed conductor a blue let us in for free, sat there with 4 cans could hardly drink them sat mostly in silence wondering what we had just seen it was a very strange journey home never quite understood why should of been celebrating hard but most still in shock.

This is without doubt bigger than aguero. Having heard a few interviews with the likes of tueart and royle since, if we'd have lost that game we could now not be in existence. If aguero hadn't scored, it may have taken a couple years rebuilding but we'd have won the league again.

I remember being sat in my seat crying at 2-0 down and ten crying again at 2-2. Iv cried 3 times as a city fan. Gillingham, Blackburn away and qpr.

I've never thought about it before, but looking back now, I too was emotionally drained.

I was staying with some friends in Freiern Barnet and the tube journey back seemed to take ages. Of course, I was the only City supporter on the train, but even so, I didn't feel like talking to anyone.

My abiding memories of the game are our players continually slipping (what's new?), feeling stunned when Gillingham scored their first and shell shocked when their second went in.

I'd just bought my first season-ticket and was contemplating watching Oldham, Stockport et al at Maine Road.

When SuperKevinHorlock scored, the lad next to me - Harvey, I think he was called - didn't even bother celebrating; he said something like, "What's the point? We've lost". Then when Dicky hit the equaliser, all hell broke loose. It was absolutel bedlam.

And right from that moment, I felt we would go on to win the game. Pulis had taken off his goal threats and replaced them with defenders to try to keep us out. When Dickov broke free in extra time and bore down on the Gills' goal, you could feel the tension in the stand. Of course, he didn't score and if he had, it would have denied a player - Richard Edghill - who had never scored for City, to bag the winning penalty.

A brilliant day and as others have said, Paul Dickov's goal probably remains the most important in the club's history, but for personal reasons Agüeroooooooooo! means more to me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.