City Women - Champions and Continental Cup Winners 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading had no intent other than keeping the score down yesterday, they barely mounted a worthwhile attack in the first half and not much else in the second. A few City players looked a bit below their usual high standard - Jill Scott in particular seemed to struggle to find her passing range.

Stokes's forward runs from left back were very impressive and were the source of most of the decent attacks in the first half. Lucy Bronze came into the game more in the second half as an attacking force and the two CBs Jen Beattie and Steph Houghton took their goals very well - it was a cracking free kick from Houghton.

I thought the attendance of just under 2,000 (pretty much the seasonal average) was a bit disappointing given that it was a double-header with the men's game and S/card holders could get a free ticket. I enjoyed the double-header aspect and hope they repeat it when the women's season switches to winter.

Hope I'm not jinxing them but I see the title for the invincibles.
If they were to lose away at Arsenal, Chelsea are very likely to be only 4 points behind when they meet, so the pressure could be on, so getting something out of that game is important, a win would put the pressure on Chelsea, as they would have to win, and if they then avoid defeat in the home game against Chelsea they can't be beaten.

Watched a lot of the games at the Minihad this season and the approach play is excellent, but the finishing is frankly abysmal.

I have never seen so many shots from around the penalty spot ballooned over the bar as our players manage to do, they should spend more time on shooting practise.

The thing is, if they just concentrated on getting the shot on target, they would score a bagful as the lady keepers do not have the ability of their male counterparts.

Watched a lot of the games at the Minihad this season and the approach play is excellent, but the finishing is frankly abysmal.

I have never seen so many shots from around the penalty spot ballooned over the bar as our players manage to do, they should spend more time on shooting practise.

The thing is, if they just concentrated on getting the shot on target, they would score a bagful as the lady keepers do not have the ability of their male counterparts.

I read that Cushing feels that the pattern of play for MCWFC mirrors that of the men. He's dead right when it comes to profligate finishing. I think Bardsley literally didn't have a shot to stop. Reading must have seen the video of Steaua from Wednesday - nothing to offer but breaking up the City attacks. Same as the men yesterday - had they gone in 4 or 5 up it would have reflected the level of play. Were both the men and women to miss out on a trophy this season it will be down to the number of good chances that go begging. We are just nowhere near clinical as some teams. Too often the play is over-elaborate. It's as though a move in the final third has to contain a minimum number of passes.

About 1,950 I think. Poor given the number of freebies given out.
I think the best they can hope for is a gradual percentage improvement. Not sure how it compares to last year, but I get the impression that most of our crowds for league games now hover around 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.