CL Quarter Final Draw - Liverpool A Apr 4th - H Apr 10th

Dinho, Gundogan and Danilo all on 2 yellow cards. A 1 match ban kicks-in at 3 yellows.

KDB on 3 yelllows but he ok as he's already served his 1 match ban.

Just to add, Henderson and Moreno are on 2 yellows for them. (Well, Moreno won't play anyway.)

They will certainly try to keep Dinho out of the 2nd leg somehow...

Sterling won’t play, Silva will.

Same with Jesus, and with that Pep will want to dominate the ball as much as possible.

I also think we won’t play out a much as we did at Anfield last time. I am expecting us to play long a few times and play for the 2nd balls.

Sterling won’t play, Silva will.

Same with Jesus, and with that Pep will want to dominate the ball as much as possible.

I also think we won’t play out a much as we did at Anfield last time. I am expecting us to play long a few times and play for the 2nd balls.

You don’t tend to get peps approach to football, do you???

He will continuously throw Raz in until this albatross is off his back and I’ll wager anyone who plays long won’t last a half...

He will continuously throw Raz in until this albatross is off his back and I’ll wager anyone who plays long won’t last a half...
We have done it before under pep against Barca who pressed us very high and we struggled to cope. We purpously played much more direct second half and won the game. Thats unless im getting mixed up with a different game.

I've noticed in a few games recently that Ederson has started hitting the ball long. We'll still play out from the back but when they press us like they did during that crazy ten minutes then going long makes sense, if only to shut their stupid crowd up.

Pep's used long balls to bypass Klopp's high press plenty of times before. In Pep's first season, Klopp famously remarked that they played more long balls in one half then they had in the rest of the league season combined (12 games at that point). Bayern smashed them 3-0, Dortmund couldn't do anything because Javi martinez was a target man at #10, and they cut out 3/4s of the Dortmund team with every long ball from Neuer or Boateng. Once the damage was done, he brought on Gotze and Thiago and just kept the ball while Dortmund ran themselves into the ground chasing the game.

He also did it in the cup final that year, and in a couple of games over the next 2 years, and i got better as Boateng's passing got better.

It's definitely a possible strategy in this game. I suspect one of the reason's we haven't done it this season in the previous 2 games is simply because we haven't needed to. A couple of minutes in the away game aside, their press has never been good enough to seriously trouble us. Van Dijk and Robertson coming in has definitely improved them though, so we might need to do it this time, plus Pep loves dropping a big change of tactic in a big game.

Edit - Agree with Raz though.

Last edited:

He won't. There will come a point when Sterling won't be given another chance to get the Albatross off his back. That time is Tuesday 4th April as far as I'm concerned.

Bundesliga: 3-1 to Pep and Bayern (the 1 loss was just after Bayern had sealed the league_
German Cup: 1-1 Both went to extra-time... Bayern won 1 in extra time and BVB won the other on penalties
PL: 1-1-2 the 2 losses at Anfield and the win and draw at the Etihad

So the real record is Pep 5 and Klopp 4

Not counting the German equivalent of the Charity Shield.

Good info, cheers

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.