CL Quarter Final Draw - Liverpool A Apr 4th - H Apr 10th

Pep's used long balls to bypass Klopp's high press plenty of times before. In Pep's first season, Klopp famously remarked that they played more long balls in one half then they had in the rest of the league season combined (12 games at that point). Bayern smashed them 3-0, Dortmund couldn't do anything because Javi martinez was a target man at #10, and they cut out 3/4s of the Dortmund team with every long ball from Neuer or Boateng. Once the damage was done, he brought on Gotze and Thiago and just kept the ball while Dortmund ran themselves into the ground chasing the game.

He also did it in the cup final that year, and in a couple of games over the next 2 years, and i got better as Boateng's passing got better.

It's definitely a possible strategy in this game. I suspect one of the reason's we haven't done it this season in the previous 2 games is simply because we haven't needed to. A couple of minutes in the away game aside, their press has never been good enough to seriously trouble us. Van Dijk and Robertson coming in has definitely improved them though, so we might need to do it this time, plus Pep loves dropping a big change of tactic in a big game.

Edit - Agree with Raz though.

Liverpool are so vulnerable to the long ball though - as proven an Old Toilet last week so I expect at least a couple to be delivered.

The hatred at that place is just too much for some souls. It's only about individual personality if you can handle such a situation. Most people (and myself) would "bottle" it and only few are born to fight against a whole ground and even get to top form. Everybody could name some of those.

We have an alternative in Bernardo. I really hope Pep can resist the obligatory "He has to go out and overcome that" stuff.
If we want to beat Anfield we need every single bit to fit in perfectly.

Bernardo would even be better for his ball controll under pressure, which will be key in that match.
Bernardo has also scored there in January.

Raz can play Goodison, the title derby and 2nd leg - including fierce home support.

100% agree with starting Bernardo over Sterling. I think this sterling at anfield thing stems more from the atmosphere at the ground, just check the racist abuse and general abuse he gets on social media from these media darling scousers.

It’s only the past few seasons that I’ve truely begun to understand the hatred united fans have for them. Double standards and always playing the victim.

Most Bluemooners probably saw this last year but I've managed to persuade the publisher to make some of my articles on the early years of Manchester football free to download until after the Qtr Final. The reason I'm posting them here is because we're going to get lots of 'City have no history' type abuse at the LFC games and the Manchester derby and these help to explain that City's success played a key part in establishing Manchester as a footballing city. It'd be worth quoting/tweeting the link to any Red (either club) who says we have no history etc. Anyway, here's the first about 1904 and how it established Manchester as a footballing city: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14660970.2014.961378 and here's another which talks about Josh Parlby - the visionary who created a club for Manchester: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09523367.2015.1055727?src=recsys. The more these are downloaded the better the chance the articles will lead on to other research etc. Thanks as always.

Liverpool don't have a big match mentality. They choked the Europa League Final and only seem able to raise themselves for one-off occasions.

They conceded three at Arsenal, four at Spurs (another two at home), five against City. Five over two legs against Sevilla.

Drew at home to Chelsea. Loss and a draw at United.

This is all being masked by seven against Spartak, five against a Porto team that are in all but name these days.

No doubting, flat-track bullies when it comes to Watford, West Ham etc.

There's a huge gulf between us and them when it comes to mentality and overall quality.

This all day Tolm. Not that I take Bleacher Report seriously when it comes to footy, but in their latest Euro rankings they have Liverpool at 5! Five!! After hammering Watford? Their last match against a top six opponent they lost, the one before that they drew. The delusion with where they are is baffling. 3 points better off than this point last year. Had a piss easy group and faced the mighty Porto in the round of 16. Knocked out of the FA cup right away, and sitting third in the league, 18 points behind us. I hope we give em a dose of reality. They're capable of beating us in a one off but I think over two legs we'll show our quality.

We have done it before under pep against Barca who pressed us very high and we struggled to cope. We purpously played much more direct second half and won the game. Thats unless im getting mixed up with a different game.

Come on now, if you appled some logic you'd agree that was a consequence to the jitters enforced on the back 4 that night. This is pretty much his team, it’s also Liverpool ffs. We will play them off the park this time around and it won’t be by ‘launching’ the ball forward...

Come on now, if you appled some logic you'd agree that was a consequence to the jitters enforced on the back 4 that night. This is pretty much his team, it’s also Liverpool ffs. We will play them off the park this time around and it won’t be by ‘launching’ the ball forward...
We seem to get the jitters though a lot at Anfield. Hopefully you are right though and we stay calm and composed and let our football speak for itself.

Liverpool are so vulnerable to the long ball though - as proven an Old Toilet last week so I expect at least a couple to be delivered.
They are really naive or thick not sure which it is, long ball punted up to Lukaku and he wins the header against Lovren, now when that happened Van Dijk should of said I’ll mark him next time, he didn’t and Utd did the same twice more and scored twice, schoolboy stuff

So people think pep will not play sterling? Think he will even though he had had issues when returning to Anfield

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.