Combi Boiler Question

Biffo123

So , had a new Combi fitted about 15 months ago and very happy with it , however encountered our first problem today , got up to no hot water ?

Radiators are fine , also under floor heating all ok , cold water running fine but when we try and use the hot water nothing comes out of tap ?

Is it simply a frozen pipe somewhere , boiler fitted in garage and its absolutely freezing in there in the current weather conditions . Confused as to why its just the hot water , any assistance would be appreciated

Cheers

So , had a new Combi fitted about 15 months ago and very happy with it , however encountered our first problem today , got up to no hot water ?

Radiators are fine , also under floor heating all ok , cold water running fine but when we try and use the hot water nothing comes out of tap ?

Is it simply a frozen pipe somewhere , boiler fitted in garage and its absolutely freezing in there in the current weather conditions . Confused as to why its just the hot water , any assistance would be appreciated

Cheers
I can help. The boiler has a plastic escape pipe for condensed water. When this freezes up, the boiler can't despatch the water anywhere so will stop heating the water. Do you have a stretch of pipe on your outside wall installed when the boiler was put in?

EDIT: Try pouring hot water on the pipe if possible. The other solution is to cut the pipe in half and remove the ice, then buy a joining piece to reconnect the pipe. This makes it easy next time it happens to clear the blockage. Just been outside to do mine!

When you turn on hot tap, a demand valve opens to operate heating and flow of water. Could be that it is affected by cold. If so, you'll just have to wait. Sorry. Try cold showers, just the job in this weather.

I can help. The boiler has an escape pipe for condensed water. When this freezes up, the boiler can't despatch the water anywhere so will stop heating the water. Do you have a stretch of pipe on your outside wall installed when the boiler was put in?

Hi , ok that makes sense , the escape pipe I believe is situated inside the garage ( white plastic ) , maybe the extreme weather has frozen it . Will check it out now

Cheers pal

Hi , ok that makes sense , the escape pipe I believe is situated inside the garage ( white plastic ) , maybe the extreme weather has frozen it . Will check it out now

Cheers pal
The pipe will run into an outlet somewhere. Mine runs outside the house and into a downspout. When we had that long freeze a few years back, the whole downspout was frozen up two stories from floor to roof. Just solid ice. If your pipe is inside you can lag it with foam pipes from B&Q to help stop it happening again.

Cheers
Have you tried hitting it repeatedly with a crowbar?

Make sure the condenser pipe points down and the water can drain freely without any kinks in the pipe.
My mates boiler had an incorrectly fitted pipe and it's absolutely fucked, the plumber installed it wrong and is trying to say because it's because he didn't have a yearly service (20 months old) so they're in the process of getting trading standards on the case and taking him to court

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.