Combi Boiler Question

Hope everything turns out ok mate. Hoping the weather starts improving tomorrow. We’ve got frozen pipes and drains - can’t run the washing machine or flush the downstairs toilet (Which I keep forgetting) . Also got no Sky TV so had to watch last nights game on the iPad.

Frozen 4" foul drain underground? Surely not.

Hairdryers, kettles of hot water? Just soak a towel in hot water and wrap round frozen pipe - leave for a few minutes (until towel gets cold) and repeat.

Gentleman of Bluemoon you have all been tremendous , thanks to all your advise I now have a fully functioning boiler again

It was indeed a frozen hot water outlet pipe , now defrosted , and after a couple of issues all back up and running , means I can use my own shower again

Thank you to everyone who replied

you can wank in peace without worrying whether you have locked the door ha ha ha ha

I know its a bit late now. But its worth having a trace heater fitted to the condensate pipe for future winters. Invented I think in Scandinavian countries..12 volt heater wire off boilers 240 supply. Buy at any boiler merchants , use a qualified eng to fit(have to say that) . You can also if poss have your condesate fitted to inside waist pipe per manufacturers instructions, which is recomended. Although I had a job once where the sink waist blocked outside with condensate so not only the boiler went off but the customer flooded the kitchen defrosting a chicken under running water lol.

Trace heating is the answer. Can be bought in meter lengths (10 watts per metre) with attached thermostat. Only comes on when the temperature drops towards zero. Had mine fitted after bad winter of, I think, 2010. Mine's an electric cable plugs straight into 240v internal socket. I took it through the wall, taped it to the condensate pipe, covered them both in 22mm foam pipe insulation then normal drain pipe to protect from rain etc.

No trouble since.

Got a web address of the supplier somewhere, if anyone's interested.

Frozen 4" foul drain underground? Surely not.

Hairdryers, kettles of hot water? Just soak a towel in hot water and wrap round frozen pipe - leave for a few minutes (until towel gets cold) and repeat.

Thanks Vic. This was an internal drain in an en suite bathroom in the converted loft. Got up on a Thursday and there was no cold water and the drain was blocked - water coming up through the shower plug hole. Seems to have corrected itself this morning but I think it’s a bit warmer today.

Sorry to hijack this post,but can anyone help with my heating problem ?
A few of my rads only get slightly warm,and a couple of times a day there is a loud banging noise that lasts a few seconds.
Is it air in the system,and how much am i looking at paying out to get it sorted ?
Ta

Sorry to hijack this post,but can anyone help with my heating problem ?
A few of my rads only get slightly warm,and a couple of times a day there is a loud banging noise that lasts a few seconds.
Is it air in the system,and how much am i looking at paying out to get it sorted ?
Ta

Have You bled your radiators?

I know its a bit late now. But its worth having a trace heater fitted to the condensate pipe for future winters. Invented I think in Scandinavian countries..12 volt heater wire off boilers 240 supply. Buy at any boiler merchants , use a qualified eng to fit(have to say that) . You can also if poss have your condesate fitted to inside waist pipe per manufacturers instructions, which is recomended. Although I had a job once where the sink waist blocked outside with condensate so not only the boiler went off but the customer flooded the kitchen defrosting a chicken under running water lol.

Might try get that fitted before next winter. Thanks.
As an aside, bled my radiators, is water supposed to come out or should it have been air then water? All bar one had water coming out straightaway even though they have cold spots on them. The odd one out is hot at the bottom but nothing seemed to be coming out when I tried bleeding it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.