Combi Washer/Dryers and Energy grades (A+++-E)

Tricky Dickys Right Foot Shot

Bear with this post as it'll probably be quite long!

So it's getting to that time where I'm looking to replace some appliances in the house (washer and television) and I've never took much notice to these energy ratings before, but now I'm in a position where I want to cut down the energy bills as much as possible....

Before I get started I was hoping a few would hopefully shine light on the combi washer/dryer, I have both a washer (INDESIT WIA 101) allegedly graded A on Reevoo and a dryer (AEG Electrolux LAVATHERM) allegedly graded C on Reevoo (Both these appliances weren't graded in shops at the time of purchase, so I'm having to go off google) but only occasionally (if needs be) do I ever use the dryer just in order to cut down costs, and I'm assuming a combi dryer would use less energy than separate washer and dryer.

So considering that the combi I'm looking at (Bosch WVG30461GB) is an A grade, if anyone has gone from a separate washer dryer to a combi just exactly how much money would I be expecting to save cutting out the C grade to an all in one A grade?

Now I did google this stuff and all I got was a very vague answer saying that going from C to A would save you about £10 a year on that appliance, it didn't mention the new A+ rating so I'll just assume that's about £15 a year from C to A+.

However it's not taking into account how much you would save on a washer dryer, I probably use the washer 2-3 times a week varying on the weather (I use it more during the summer than in the winter, but then if it's pissing it down constantly it gets used more than it does in the summer ect...), but again I'm limited to using the washer based on the fact I have to wait for my clothes to dry on a washing horse during seasons like this (like I mentioned I avoid using the dryer).

Personally I feel a washer/dryer would benefit me in the practical sense but if it's going to cost me an extra £5-10+ a month on energy bills then I don't think it's worth it based on how much it would cost me for the appliance alone.

Washer/dryer combos are a bit shit imo. It takes a lot longer to do your washing too, especially if you have more than one load.

Washer/dryer combos are a bit shit imo. It takes a lot longer to do your washing too, especially if you have more than one load.

Is that because they use less water or just less energy? abit like how them energy saving bulbs take about 6 hours to illuminate to full capacity!

Is that because they use less water or just less energy? abit like how them energy saving bulbs take about 6 hours to illuminate to full capacity!

If you have more than two loads, with a separate washer and dryer you can be drying the first lot whilst your second lot is being washed.

If you have more than two loads, with a separate washer and dryer you can be drying the first lot whilst your second lot is being washed.

Ah right I get you, thing is I don't use the dryer (unless I'm desperate) just based on how much it costs to run, so the time for a combi wash/dry wouldn't bother me, only if it were to cost me more to run that I'm getting charged an extra £5-10 a month on my bill.

We've just gone from a washer/ dryer combi to a washer only. Cheaper to buy and less stuff to go wrong.
Drying in a combi isn't quick so usually stuck the washing outside to dry (smells better anyway) or on a drying maiden inside. If we needed something drying that day we would stick them on the radiators as it was quicker and cheaper.
We had the combi dryer for about 8 years and used the dryer about half a dozen times.
if your hot water is heated by gas I would ensure that whatever machine you get has both a hot and cold water intake otherwise it will cost a fortune to heat it up in the washer.

Hope this helps
PS - just need Mrs Hoghead to stop putting the temp at 60 degree.

In my experience, never had anything but trouble with a combo. Repair man seemed to be at mine too often for my liking. He advised me to buy separates, avoiding zanussi and buying Bosch providing it was German made but not Romanian made ones. Never followed his advice about Bosch but separates(providing you have space) are much better and more reliable than any combo.

We've just gone from a washer/ dryer combi to a washer only. Cheaper to buy and less stuff to go wrong.
Drying in a combi isn't quick so usually stuck the washing outside to dry (smells better anyway) or on a drying maiden inside. If we needed something drying that day we would stick them on the radiators as it was quicker and cheaper.
We had the combi dryer for about 8 years and used the dryer about half a dozen times.
if your hot water is heated by gas I would ensure that whatever machine you get has both a hot and cold water intake otherwise it will cost a fortune to heat it up in the washer.

Hope this helps
PS - just need Mrs Hoghead to stop putting the temp at 60 degree.

That's spot on mate thanks for that!
Also I'm trying to figure out my washers water consumption but all I'm finding for my washer is its "Water Consumption in Litres (60°C)" (which is 49L) how would I calculate that down to a 40°C cycle? As I very rarely wash any higher than 40°C unlike Mrs Hoghead it seems! Plus I've seen a washer that on a standard cycle consumes 43L of water, so if I can save myself 6L of water on a cycle then that'll save me a shit load of money through the year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.