Come on Blackpool F.C.

Blue2112

Got some bad news tonight that an old man I know well and used to see and talk with every week aged 83, sadly passed away in his sleep on saturday. He'd been going to Blackpool since he was a young kid and as a season ticket holder he still used to go every week travelling from Ainsworth to see his beloved Seasiders. He was thrilled to get to see them in the Premiership last season and last wednesday I wished him all the best for this weekend, never thinking it would be the last time I would see him. His family were surprised when he didn't show up for the game on Saturday and when they called in to see why he hadn't made it they found him asleep in bed. Only two weeks ago he was saying to me how he just couldn't get himself warm no matter how much he tried.

He hated United and especially Fergurson and always took a keen interest in talking to me about City and I know he will be sadly missed by everyone at Blackpool where he was well known by all the players, management and staff. He also gave over 50 years of devoted service to Bury Council and especially the Radcliffe carnival for which he was primarily responsible in arranging, for most of those 50 odd years. So for the rest of the season i'm cheering on the Tangerines to make the Premiership once more for a loyal and dear old friend, Ray Vevers.

Used to love his old stories of the likes of Matthews, Lofthouse and Finney. Real boys own stuff from a generation of greats. He was at the Matthews Final in 1953 and used to tell the story as if it was yesterday, with all the passion and excitement he could muster. Great stuff!

Ray was my uncle he will be missed by us all best uncle anyone could wish for even though he tried to convert to the tangerine side. Thanks everyone for thier kind words I will pass them on to my cousins.

Blue2112 said:
Used to love his old stories of the likes of Matthews, Lofthouse and Finney. Real boys own stuff from a generation of greats. He was at the Matthews Final in 1953 and used to tell the story as if it was yesterday, with all the passion and excitement he could muster. Great stuff!

Hearing football tales from those days by guys who were there is a genuine privilege and sadly one that is inevitably getting ever rarer with every passing year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.