Company Car is it worth it ?

Tueartsoverhead kick

moston - still looking for the blue moon raising,
ive had a company van for the the past 5yrs and we've just had a restructure at work where my job title has changed but my salary remains the same but I've been told that new position means I can't now have the van but need to have a company car

Is this a good change or will it now actually cost me money so I will be worse off ?

Your HR people should be able to spell-out for you the £'s tax implications (if any) of being assigned the car (plus fuel also?) so I would talk to them. If you have a range to choose from, the Eco/Hybrid/Low Emission vehicles are much better in terms of how much you pay in tax. Make sure you let your tax office know.

Your HR people should be able to spell-out for you the £'s tax implications (if any) of being assigned the car (plus fuel also?) so I would talk to them. If you have a range to choose from, the Eco/Hybrid/Low Emission vehicles are much better in terms of how much you pay in tax. Make sure you let your tax office know.
I have a fuel card for the van but believe I don't get one with the car I pay out for the fuel and then claim it back through expenses against work mileage

The benefit of having a car paid for, including servicing, repairs, tyres, insurance etc, far outweighs any tax implications. Just make sure you opt out of private mileage (if offered), unless you do some serious personal mileage; you'll get spanked by the tax man otherwise.

Go for it mate. I have one. A new car every 3 years all found - except private petrol. Private mileage that depreciates the vehicle isn't docked from my pay there's the tax and servicing all found and it costs me @ £35pm. If I went into a dealers asking to lease what I've got for that figure I'd probably need a 99% deposit of padding down the back of me kecks as I'd get my arse kicked on the way out !

Go for it mate. I have one. A new car every 3 years all found - except private petrol. Private mileage that depreciates the vehicle isn't docked from my pay there's the tax and servicing all found and it costs me @ £35pm. If I went into a dealers asking to lease what I've got for that figure I'd probably need a 99% deposit of padding down the back of me kecks as I'd get my arse kicked on the way out !
So in other words, the op is going to be £420 per year worse off?

most important piece is the car selection and the emmissions, that's where the tax v cash comparison is important

So in other words, the op is going to be £420 per year worse off?

You'd have to weigh up the other options - does he get cash in lieu if he doesn't take the car? Does he need a car? If so how much would it cost him to buy/lease his own instead of the company car?

An important distinction needs to be made here too. Is it a company car or is it one his company leases for him in his name? The latter is a common company dodge because I believe it allows the company not to be liable for NI contribs on the BIK on the car. He is down a s the one leasing the car but its never his as it were.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.