Confirmed: Most Ever Consecutive Wins in English Football History - MCFC

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by Fame Monster, 6 Nov 2017.

1. shemnel

shemnel

great stuff ta, good enough for me!

2. cptaidan88

cptaidan88

So what result would you award if we drew in the 3rd round of the FA Cup?

If you've drawn a one legged cup tie after 90 mins, its a draw. Extra time, penalties, replays, tossing a coin, drawing straws, etc, are all ways to determine which team advances, but the game is won, lost, or drawn in 90 minutes (plus injury time for the sticklers).

If people want to believe it counts I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but this is the reason why it is not being reported as 15 consecutive wins.

3. Abattoir Blue

Abattoir Blue

As Gary James says it *is* officially being counted.

That specific game v Wolves could only be won or lost. No other result was possible. That was the criteria of the tie. It's as simple as that.

If someone asked you the result of the game you would say 'we won on penalties'.

Most other games (league, 2 legged cup ties, early round of FA Cup) have the third options of a draw.

So someone asks and reply is 'we drew and there's a replay next Tuesday'.

4. scousemanc

scousemanc

I would regard it as drawn because in the FA Cup a draw is one of the permitted results of a match. Different to the LC.

5. cptaidan88

cptaidan88

We're going to get bogged down in pedantics if we're not careful. As I said I'm not going to lose sleep if you want to count it as part of our consecutive win tally, but I explained why it isn't being reported as such.

We won a cup tie, but we did not win the game.

In the cup tie one team must advance to the next round but we didn't win the game. We won a penalty shoot out. As I mentioned in my previous post penalties are a way to determine who advances but does not change the result of a 90 minute game of football.

Feel free to refer to past competitions where ties were drawn and determined by drawing lots or coin toss. Winning on penalties - or in extra time, is no different from winning on a coin toss. The game was drawn but one team advanced.

6. SWP's back

SWP's back

Erm but it is.

7. calum down

calum down

otium cum dignitate
    what are you talking about?

even the bbc have it down as a win.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41792812
    "City have now won 15 consecutive matches in all competitions, including an EFL Cup victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers on penalties."

8. citytill1die84

citytill1die84

"I Swear you'll never see anything like this ever
    Boy had we not been robbed with a red card in that Everton game I'm sure it would look even more impressive.

9. Prestwich_Blue

Prestwich_Blue

Let's move the debate on to something we can hopefully agree on. The PL record for consecutive wins in a season is 13 and we're currently on 9. Should we win our next 4 games (Leicester (A), Huddersfield (A), Southampton (H) and West Ham (H)) to equal the record, we would get the chance to set a new one on Dec 9th at the swamp. Wouldn't that be sweet?

Had we not been cheated by the ref against Everton, we'd have set the new record for 15 consecutive wins overall (i.e. across more than one season) last Sunday, which ironically was our game against the current record holders Arsenal.

10. BJL_City

BJL_City

when people argue so much Gary James has to step in as expert witness