Cook or Soriano?

Seosa

As per the title. Forgive me if this ends up sounding like a petty rant but I'm intrigued as to how other Blues view this.

For all his misdemeanours, particularly at Hall of Fame ceremonies, I don't think anybody can doubt Garry Cook's passion for the job he had at Manchester City. He genuinely seemed to care about the club, it's fans and how it went about its business. His partnership with Khaldoon seemed to work wonders, and I think his contributions can never be underestimated in terms of just how good those first 4 years of the Mansour Era were. The history of the club was treated with the utmost respect, as were the fans. This was reflected in the club's relationship with the core fanbase and even simplicities like the kits. In the face of obscene media scrutiny, the club forced ahead and kept true to its soul. I've always felt Cook played a huge part in that.

Compare that to Soriano, who I don't think cares one bit about Manchester City, it's image or the fans. His idealistic vision is a prosperous CFG, a corporate's wet dream. He's more focused on the tourist, the plastic and the social media diehard, not forgetting his obnoxious little project in New York. He's dismantled communication with the fans, he's allowed Nike to dick all over us with the kits (visually and economically) and ultimately you can imagine that the manner in how the badge was changed was his idea, "let the fans vote on ideas, create something we like that mildly represents what they want and maybe they'll shut up".

I genuinely believe that with Cook at the helm we would've kicked on after 2012. Instead I feel like we've tip toed forward instead of making significant leaps. From 2008 to 2012 the club took giant leaps forward whilst maintaining and even enhancing the club's image and soul and it's relationship with its fans. Under Soriano, I feel we've stuttered forward whilst undoing the good work implemented before he arrived.

Again, apologies if this comes across as a petty rant but while I'll never stop loving Manchester City, in recent times I've felt a disconnect to the club which seriously fucking hurts, whether it's a squad of players whom the majority don't care, a kit that looks designed by a tourist, a badge that could be so much better, or season ticket prices that go against exactly what we told to expect. I'm not saying it's one man's fault, but it certainly feels like our direction as a club changed when Soriano arrived.

At Barcelona, Soriano worked underneath Laporta who was the public face of that Barcelona regime.

At City, although there's Khaldoon, he's not a day to day public face of the regime, and Soriano just wants to get on with what he likes doing.

That's the crux of it for me. We as fans need to work together to force proper representation if we want change, the current divide or "I don't feel so strongly about this so won't help, but will moan if I sit from afar and don't like the result" mantra that plenty of fans have is just exacerbating the problems.

Fuck off, the badge is great :-)
On the pitch, who knows, but off the pitch, nothing would be better. We would still have nike, the tickets would be the same price (still relatively fair) and cooks idea of global marketing was probably signing a ji sung park type player.
Sounds more like a rant against modern football.
Soriano does need to be more open though.

In my opinion this is an unnecessary thread and a bit of a rant which is not required.
The club has at long last financial stability and a strong platform on and off the pitch to continue to be a major force in world football. Nothing in life is perfect but in over 50 years of following CITY this feels very,very good.

the badge is great.
6hnosi.jpg

In my opinion this is an unnecessary thread and a bit of a rant which is not required.

Not only this, its been done many times before as well.

That said, I've no issue with blues wanting more interaction from the CEO and its a fair criticism of Ferran imo.

Sorry, can't agree. Financial stability, we know from past experience, is vital and we have that now. Don't know what is wrong with NY, if owners want a global group so be it.
Badge respects our history and recalls the one sold by our favourite chairman Swales.

Agree that Cook did some good stuff, especially on the building of the academy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.