Cook or Soriano?

I've heard this before on here. Is it absolutely true? (Not doubting you personally, but it would be nice to know if this is actually the case or is it just an opinion??).

Obviously we would have preferred to go from Mancini to Pep, without Pellers first, but can you imagine the shitstorm if we had let a title winner go right after he won it (think Leicester x1000) or is it that winning the title ruined the plan?

I loved Mancini and cannot imagine ever accepting seeing him sacked after a title win to make way for anybody. Admittedly I only 'know' him as a fan and I understand you and a few other posters have a bit more 'inside info' on his time at city etc, but equally the thought of being in the fourth year of Pep this season is pretty salivating prospect.

Interesting how things can change one way to another and affect the future so hugely.

Either way,it's bloody brilliant being a 40 odd yr old blue these days.
Funnily enough I was going through some old pm's the other night and the story appears to be as follows:
  • Cook had gone earlier in the season and Soriano/Begiristain were coming in to replace him.
  • Mancini had made it clear he wouldn't work with a DoF and handed in his resignation the day after we won the title.
  • We were certainly talking to Pep at this this point but it's not 100% clear whether we got cold feet or Pep was determined to have a break. I suspect the former and that's why he took a sabbatical, as it was too late to do anything else.
  • Whatever, we decided to offer Mancini a new 5-year deal but with a 2-year limit on any compensation payable if we were to sack him, in the almost certain knowledge of what was to come.
Had we had the courage to call RM's bluff, almost certainly Pep would have been here in the summer of 2013.

Approximately how many fans attended the last fan meeting?
Think there were about 15.

Last edited:
Funnily enough I was going through some old pm's the other night and the story appears to be as follows:
  • Cook had gone earlier in the season and Soriano/Begiristain were coming in to replace him.
  • Mancini had made it clear he wouldn't work with a DoF and handed in his resignation the day after we won the title.
  • We were certainly talking to Pep at this this point but it's not 100% clear whether we got cold feet or Pep was determined to have a break. I suspect the former and that's why he took a sabbatical, as it was too late to do anything else.
  • Whatever, we decided to offer Mancini a new 5-year deal but with a 2-year limit on any compensation payable if we were to sack him, in the almost certain knowledge of what was to come.
Had we had the courage to call RM's bluff, almost certainly Pep would have been here in the summer of 2013.

Think there were about 15.

Wow. Can you imagine the headlines if we had "allowed" bobby to resign after THAT goal? Not that the club would've been to blame (you can't stop someone resigning) but they would've had a field day.

It's probably as well it worked out how it did though. Pep has been scrutinised much more than any other manager already. Taking over a team that had literally just won the league would have lead to unimaginable pressure from the great British media.

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the meeting where bobby resigned.

Wow. Can you imagine the headlines if we had "allowed" bobby to resign after THAT goal? Not that the club would've been to blame (you can't stop someone resigning) but they would've had a field day.

It's probably as well it worked out how it did though. Pep has been scrutinised much more than any other manager already. Taking over a team that had literally just won the league would have lead to unimaginable pressure from the great British media.

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the meeting where bobby resigned.
I think you could say we bottled it and I reckon one of the reasons, if not the main one, was all the fuss when Mancini was appointed in the first place. I don't think they could face all the negative publicity.

And that was largely why our transfer activity that summer was so underwhelming as we didn't know for sure who the manager would be until July.

I don't know what improvement Soriano have done for the club but I can imagine if Pep didn't come to City in next few season, we would have Soriano replacement

I have not got Pep Confidential with me but Im pretty sure he chose to turn City down at that time in favour of heading to Bayern Munich.

I
I have not got Pep Confidential with me but Im pretty sure he chose to turn City down at that time in favour of heading to Bayern Munich.
If I remember he agreed to join Bayern about Christmas, cant remember when we were supposed to have asked him but assume it was later than that and he had committed to Bayern. What we dont know is if we hadnt won the league in 2012 whether he would have come to us instead of his sabbatical, think it's unlikely but who knows.
Either way think it's worked out best coming now as can see him staying longer than if he'd joined in 2012 with all the FFP stuff going on.

The kits are the kits. The club has very little control over them -- this applies to a lot of other major clubs and not just City. Nike does their thing and that's that. Umbro sold themselves to Nike and lost the City deal in the process -- the only way we'd still be at Umbro in their new form was if we collapsed and were a club that simply was not even worthy of Nike absorbing into their own fold.

The badge is very nice and I really can't see any reason to complain about it, frankly. It looks great and they've done an excellent job of making it very versatile. Every color iteration of it on the different training gear or different strips looks clean and well done.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.