Cook promises 'surprises' at City Dec 17 2008

BLUEMOONBAZ

iam hoping lol

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.journallive.co.uk/newcastle-sports/newcastle-sports-news/2008/12/17/cook-promises-surprises-at-city-84229-22495875/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.journallive.co.uk/newcastle- ... -22495875/</a>
Cook promises 'surprises' at City
Dec 17 2008

Manchester City executive chairman Garry Cook has promised there will be some surprises in the January transfer window and has not ruled out a marquee signing.

However, he was keen to stress the world's richest club are looking for value for money and want to build a strong squad and not just bring in star names.

He said: "There will be some surprises but we should also expect in this window if some players or clubs see this club as a gravy train then we are quite prepared to walk away."

He added: "Making any predictions would not only be unfair to the game and the people in it but also to the fans because we want to make sure their expectations are in place.

"But I won't allow this football club to be used by anyone seeking a fortune.

"I'd rather just make sure we have got the right characters who can give the fans value for money.

City's new-found wealth has seen them linked with a long list of world class players, from AC Milan's Kaka and Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas to Bayern Munich's Franck Ribery and Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz.

The list is almost endless but Cook insists that despite the vast wealth of the owners, manager Mark Hughes does not have a bottomless budget.

"The speculation that you hear and see is about a player-driven process but, like any business, we have a budget-driven process," he said.

"People think there is limitless funds available for players and they accordingly put a price tag on individuals but it is clear we will not be dragged into that type of discussion."

Re: Cook promises 'surprises' at City

Nothing like spinning a yarn for the fans to lap up, PURE FANTASY

yeah tbh iam not reading about players linked anymore ,iam gonna wait n hope

lmao yeah plz...

more from cook <a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1085785_big_interview_cooks_city_missionBig" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... missionBig</a> interview: Cook's City mission
Chris Bailey
17/12/2008

CITY chief Garry Cook insists the Blues are on track to be a global force on and off the football field.

The executive chairman has promised that Eastlands will become a magnet for the game's superstars but he has also warned rivals and agents not to view City as a gravy train.

Cook has promised that the Abu Dhabi owners will never lose sight of the importance of homegrown talent or the desires of the fans.

He revealed that the model for future sides would be a balance of Galacticos, young international players and Platt Lane produce with the emphasis on character as well as talent.

"In ten years from now I know that this club will be one of the biggest in the world. I have no doubt about that at all," enthused the man entrusted to run the day-to-day business of the club by owner Sheikh Mansour and chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak.

"We are going to step through some challenges and twists and turns along the way but ultimately everybody in this club, including the owners, believes that the vision is the important part of what we are trying to achieve and worrying about a result here and there over the past couple of weeks - while disheartening and not to plan - is not the thing that we will live and die by.

Superstars

"Over the next few years, fans will see world superstars who want to be at Manchester City but their characteristics have to suit this club and they have to be willing to help take us on this exciting journey.

"What we don't want to do is pay an inordinate amount of money just to have a name on our books. They have to want to help City move forward."

Cook praised the impact that nine-goal Brazilian Robinho has had since his British record move from Real Madrid and he wants more of the same.

"His effect on this club has been astonishing," declared the executive chairman. "He has what I call a `Halo' effect on the youngsters who get a lift by training alongside him. He has integrated well and sets a good example. Those are the type of players we want at the club."

Cook, who along with boss Mark Hughes, has rid City of the middle men who made money out of deals for the club, will look to bring in more of that kind of player when availability and finance allows but confessed that City's name being attached to a transfer target is having an effect on prices demanded by clubs and players.

"There is a Manchester City effect out in the market place and you have to deal with it," he declared. "The speculation affects our ability to do business. To bring the fans great football we have to bring them great footballers but I will not waste funds doing that.

Speculation

"The speculation that everyone is hearing and seeing is about a player-driven process but like any business we have a budget-driven process.

"We have a very clear plan what players we would like to see in key areas and who would enhance the depth of the squad because we have some great players here already. It is not for me to divulge the numbers when it comes to what we can spend but we are actively looking to build the squad.

"The challenge with regards to price range is what is the true value of a player and what is the perceived value and sometimes those two don't meet.

"What we are tending to find is clubs think there is limitless funds available here for players and they accordingly put a price tag on individuals. It is really clear we will not be dragged into that type of discussion."

City have been linked with more than 60 players already in the run up to January - most persistently the trio of Wayne Bridge, Lassana Diarra and Roque Santa Cruz - but Cook has made it clear he is not into the name game.

He fears the constant `outing' of players in the media is actually harming the Blues chances of landing genuine transfer targets.

"To maintain the integrity of other clubs and the individuals I am not going to reveal any names but we clearly have targets we know the areas that we want to focus on," he smiled.

Success

"We want to meet Mark Hughes' needs because he needs the tools to bring success to Manchester City.

"While he has a good portion of those tools already, we look to add to that to help him in key situations. We will be active.

"We have changed the way we look for players and Mark and I have been working on this for some 60 days now and I am sure there will be surprises.

"Mark has a clear plan of what he is looking for and as I have said before it is built around the character that is required and the type of players in the team.

"Where they come from is not the most important part the equation, it is whether they are the right type of player, do they have the relevant experience, and can they adjust to the Premier League? They have to tick all those boxes. That is what Mark talks to me about.

"We are looking to have a balance in the side. The key component is that our Academy continues to add value to the future. We will continue to invest in the Academy and its players because it has been so fruitful in the past.

"There is also the search for young international talent that will go on and help develop the club.

"Making predictions would be unfair to the fans because this business has so many twists and turns but we want to meet the fans' expectations.

"Whilst we try to do that, I will not allow this club to be used by anyone who is seeking a fortune. I would rather we got the right characters who will give the fans value for money. If other clubs and players think this is a gravy train then they are wrong; we would be quite willing to walk away."

On a personal note, Cook, who survived the regime after being head-hunted from the US by previous owner Thaksin Shinawatra, stressed he was loving every minute of the challenge of putting down the deep roots of success for City's future.

Rollercoaster

"It has been an eventful six months and the thing that I think I underestimated most is the emotional rollercoaster that football puts you on," he admitted.

"I can run the business and I am okay with that but when people are investing their hard-earned money to watch the team and you lose that is the part that hurts.

"I am in touch with chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak if not every day then every other day and we talk a lot about the fortunes of the football club. He talks a lot about what is going on at the Academy, the investments that are going into the club, the people we are adding to the staff.

"He gets concerned about some of the names he reads in the media because most of it is pure speculation and he wants to do business in a pragmatic and sensible way and that is how we will go into the window.

"There is still a lot of work in progress in all areas of the club. Sometimes it is forgotten that we only had a change of control on September 23.

"Things are happening very quickly. Infrastructure and investments are very important to us and we will be rolling those out in due course.

"These are exciting times for everyone because they see the club moving forward.

"There is radical change going at all levels including the first team. Mark is changing some of the culture for some of the players but you cannot get everything you want with a flick of the switch and he is moving forward in the right direction."

Makes me laugh all the people that say "no chance in hell" regarding Kaka joining City.

How the fuck would you know? Seems to really piss some people off when some blues get optimistic and hopeful.

None of us know, we're fans, not involved in the deal or what is happening behind the scenes, we all know fuck all, we just have to hope. So instead of jumping on every back that thinks it could happen, how about you go and get a hobby.

markbmcfc said:
Makes me laugh all the people that say "no chance in hell" regarding Kaka joining City.

How the fuck would you know? Seems to really piss some people off when some blues get optimistic and hopeful.

None of us know, we're fans, not involved in the deal or what is happening behind the scenes, we all know fuck all, we just have to hope. So instead of jumping on every back that thinks it could happen, how about you go and get a hobby.

I tend to agree with that

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.