council tax

Council tax, The most unfair tax going. Bands go from A-H and you pay based on value of your property. Yet the value ends at £320K. So basically someone who has a property in the millions is charged at the £320K and above band yet the average house price owner is hammered!
Not quite true as the values are as at the house market in 1991, when there were far fewer million pound+ houses. It's a very weird system. My flat (band C) is valued by the council for tax purposes at between £52-68k, when I paid £400k for it last year.

Council tax has remained static for a long time, which in real terms means it's reduced. It's probably about time it went up, but it's a stupid way of funding it. Central government should be putting more money in to it, as putting up council tax affects everyone, especially those with lower incomes, whilst greater income tax for people earning £150k plus would have a lesser effect.

Not quite true as the values are as at the house market in 1991, when there were far fewer million pound+ houses. It's a very weird system. My flat (band C) is valued by the council for tax purposes at between £52-68k, when I paid £400k for it last year.
Understand that pal. But surely in needs looking at. Why not have bands A-Z and spread the burden?

Am nervous about tax increases for specific purposes because they soon get lost in the mix. A huge chunk of council tax is spent on pensions for jobsworths.

The country needs a serious, mature and non-partisan debate about the NHS and social care. Demand is rising inexorably and we need to find an agreeable way of paying for it which isn't then fcuked over for cheap political ends.

I'd be willing to pay a bit more if I believed 100% it would be used correctly. And I imagine most people would, whatever their political allegiance.

Roll on that debate. Not holding my breath though...

Am nervous about tax increases for specific purposes because they soon get lost in the mix. A huge chunk of council tax is spent on pensions for jobsworths.

The country needs a serious, mature and non-partisan debate about the NHS and social care. Demand is rising inexorably and we need to find an agreeable way of paying for it which isn't then fcuked over for cheap political ends.

I'd be willing to pay a bit more if I believed 100% it would be used correctly. And I imagine most people would, whatever their political allegiance.

It won't get it as the Tories are diliberatly starving both to allow Beardy and US heal companies to "Save it".

A few plebs dieing for a bit more profit is fine by them.

It won't get it as the Tories are diliberatly starving both to allow Beardy and US heal companies to "Save it".

A few plebs dieing for a bit more profit is fine by them.

Your reply just confirms my point. Why would anyone in government sit down with somebody who embraces your ideology?

A huge chunk of council tax is spent on pensions for jobsworths.
Always this - one of my biggest gripes about the public sector. This is a huge financial burden now which is only going to worse and no end in sight of ending this error. All this two thirds final salary after 40 years service (less years for some occupations), was all well and good when most people dropped dead at 70. But now with the pension schemes not earning or growing as originally envisaged, people living a lot longer and retiring earlier, these pensions funds are being financed by current contributions (and there is less of them) or by extra top up by tax payers. Its like a pyramid scheme about to topple over only that the back stop is the tax payer.
All the calculations that they were based on are in error, and you should never perpetuate an error.

I would raise the threshold for exemption from NIC on earnings from 65 to 75 and treat occupational pensions as earnings subject to NIC. Its my baby boomer generation which is draining the NHS and Social care of resources, and its unfair that younger generations should have to pay more tax to support us. ( not sure I'd get many votes though!)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.