Coventry City

Am I going soft in the head, or am I actually correct in thinking that I saw Sammy McIlroy score for us there at the beginning of a season? Looking at what I've typed there, it just screams out "nooooo".

Used to get pissed in the Mercers Arms right outside the ground, away fans only pub

Then that stand on the side had the worst drainage ever and the concourse was 6 inches deep in piss

We (first team anyway) have never played at the Ricoh so you won't have been if you only follow City.
That'll be why then. I remember standing behind their goal at one game (could have been a draw, fuck knows) and in the seats down the side lines for the 3-2 win from being 2-0 down at another, Curle pen.

It was usually lively at Highfield Road!
My first away game was at Highfield Road in the 1971/2 season. We were second, level on points with leaders Derby but they had a much better goal difference. We had three games to go and Derby was the last game so if we won those penultimate games it would potentially be a winner-takes-all game. But we drew that day while Derby won then we lost at Ipswich. We beat Derby but ended up finishing fourth. Both Coventry and Derby were in the bottom half and had nothing to play for so that was really annoying.

My first away game was at Highfield Road in the 1971/2 season. We were second, level on points with leaders Derby but they had a much better goal difference. We had three games to go and Derby was the last game so if we won those penultimate games it would potentially be a winner-takes-all game. But we drew that day while Derby won then we lost at Ipswich. We beat Derby but ended up finishing fourth. Both Coventry and Derby were in the bottom half and had nothing to play for so that was really annoying.

so we were level on points with leaders Derby who were in the bottom half...

ever thought of a career as a TV/radio football pundit?

I remember seeing City win 1-0 on my only visit to Highfield Road, first game of the season, might have been 92-93.

Niall Quinn scored the only goal, IIRC and it was possibly Keith Curle's début.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.